afci for kitchen refrigerator, micro, rangehood dw garbage disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

klineelectric

Occupation
electrical contractor
The inspector in my neck of florida is requiring all kitchen outlets ie: refrigerator, rangehood, dishwasher, garbage disposal etc. as well as lights that are not gfci protected to be afci. Also garage, laundry and bath lights which arent gfi must be afci according to his interpretation. Siting these as similar rooms or areas. The iaei analysis of code changes says these rooms dont need afci? Is it really that hard to have clear language in these codes that cant be interpreted 3 different ways? Who is right..........I know i know the ahj......trying to make your point almost always falls on deaf ears, and arguing will get you nowhere except maybe a few frivilous failed inspections.:-?:-?:roll::mad:

Cavie

The inspector in my neck of florida is requiring all kitchen outlets ie: refrigerator, rangehood, dishwasher, garbage disposal etc. as well as lights that are not gfci protected to be afci. Also garage, laundry and bath lights which arent gfi must be afci according to his interpretation. Siting these as similar rooms or areas. The iaei analysis of code changes says these rooms dont need afci? Is it really that hard to have clear language in these codes that cant be interpreted 3 different ways? Who is right..........I know i know the ahj......trying to make your point almost always falls on deaf ears, and arguing will get you nowhere except maybe a few frivilous failed inspections.:-?:-?:roll::mad:

Your inspector is in his own little world. What part of Florida are you in?

Occupation
Inspector
The inspector in my neck of florida is requiring all kitchen outlets ie: refrigerator, rangehood, dishwasher, garbage disposal etc. as well as lights that are not gfci protected to be afci. ... few frivilous failed inspections.:-?:-?:roll::mad:

My simple take on this is if it does not require GFI protection then it requires AFCI protection. ( 2008 )

SEO

Looks like your inspector is stretching section 210.12 (B) a little. His interpertation of similar rooms or areas. Where is GFI mentioned in section 210.12 (B)?

Occupation
Inspector
Let's not confuse this with what is actually required.

FWIW I see nothing to validate this.

In the OPs case the inspector is way off base.

With regards to the OP, after looking closer at 210.12, the AFCI would NOT be required but 210.8 along with 210.12 doesn't leave much for non AFCI outlets.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Uh yeah sorry about that... when I was writing the code for AFCIs I was trying to think of the name of that one room that had the cooking stuff in it but I couldn't remember... so I just said similar areas.... hope everybody got that I meant kitchens and bathroom too.:roll:

Unbelievable.

480sparky

Uh yeah sorry about that... when I was writing the code for AFCIs I was trying to think of the name of that one room that had the cooking stuff in it but I couldn't remember... so I just said similar areas.... hope everybody got that I meant kitchens and bathroom too.:roll:

Unbelievable.

What about unfinished basements, crawl spaces, garages and outside? :D

maloo

My simple take on this is if it does not require GFI protection then it requires AFCI protection. ( 2008 )

I don't disagree but I don't see anything that would require it this way. Just wired a home the other day were the kitchen, dinning room, and living room were all one big room. So why should the lighting in the kitchen be excluded from being on a AFCI? Seems ridiculous.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
With regards to the OP, after looking closer at 210.12, the AFCI would NOT be required but 210.8 along with 210.12 doesn't leave much for non AFCI outlets.

And then look at 210.8(A) :D

Why do you keep making these obscure references to 210.8 in our discussion on where is AFCI required???????????????

What up with dat?

klineelectric

Occupation
electrical contractor
The 2008 code hand book which is a supplement for the code book says under code210.8(a)(6) the requiremennt for gfci is intended for receptacles serving the countertop. Recepts installed for disposals, dw, and trash compactors are not required to be gfci. The book also says 210.12 afci protection required for 120v outlets located throughout a dwellingunit other than outlets installed in kitchens, bathrooms, unfinished basements, garages, and outdoors. ...........I glad im not the only one reading the code "correctly". At least the way it was written.:D

klineelectric

Occupation
electrical contractor
i agree, that is too simple. The code panel went thruough the trouble to list certain rooms, if their intent was for the rest of the house the code language would have read " afci required everywhere gfci is not" .........I guess that will be 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.