AFCI in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwm1752

Not required per 2014 NEC -- but never failed an inspection for better that code -- them Floridians have some interesting amendments (which should be in public documents easialy attainable & approved by the local goverment entity) do they have a website you could check -- The city I work for has them posted for all to review

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
In Florida they have state licensing. When I go my license the Great Mike Holt (I think it was) informed me through his instructional material that Florida used to have only local licensing and a cluster of fiefdoms. After Hurricane Andrew one of the corrections to many problems was State licensing and State codes. So today, it is illegal for a local municipality to pass or enforce any code more (or less) stringent than The Florida Building Code which is ultimately an adoption of the NEC with only a couple of very minor changes. The one that comes to mind is that Florida Code makes the FPN regarding voltage drop found in the NEC a code requirement.

kwired

Electron manager
A subdivision, usually all built out in a short period of time and all buildings look similar.
May not even have owners for all the homes as they are being built either. A developer builds them and hopes to have majority of them sold before they are finished.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A subdivision, usually all built out in a short period of time and all buildings look similar.
Typically a buyer who comes in while vacant lots are available gets a choice of four or five floor plans, right or left handed, and with some quality upgrade options like better carpet or countertops.
The costs are held down because all of the architectural and engineering design is done once per floor plan and drawings are cheap. Tied to one approved contractor which may change over time with low bid and usually they do not allow sale of vacant lots for you to build your own custom house.

Status
Not open for further replies.