AHCA inspections

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccha9219

I just finished a nurseing home in Dayton Beach.
It was was my first experince with AHCA inspectors.
I was under the impression that they could only enforce the code...
Is this true or can they override the code with what ever standards they have

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: AHCA inspections

You need to get a copy of their admendments. BTW they used to go by HRS. You should be able to get these online.

Roger

ccha9219

I asked the ACHA inspector where i can get there amendments in writing...
he told me they dont have any ?????

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

What exactly was he asking for above the NEC?

Roger

ccha9219

He failed the main service because the grds and ntrl on the same bus bar
(he made us move the green wires to ground bar
and the white wires to the nut. bar )
he failead the gen set for not haveing a surge arresster at the gen panel witch he said is required. He also failed the lighting because we had critical branch ckts in the same conduit
as regular power in direct conflict with 517-41 (d)I questioned it and at that point he made it clear he didn't much care what the code said he would not accept it
ccha9219

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Well the only ligitimate issue he had was 517-41(D).

By taking a defensive stance when questioned, he has shown he is insecure in his expertise and is going to make up his own rules. This being the case, he definately will not let you be privy to any information that may proove this incompetence.

I would think (pretty much sure) the state of FL by some law would have to make this information available for the public.

Roger

ccha9219

517-41 (d) states that critical branch can be in the same conduitas normal power. It was on this passage we installed our feeders also Needless to say when we started cutting out the hand holes in the parking lot my boss was not impressed. Life saftey is the only system that needs to be seperate.
I'm sure the info is out there somewhere
finding it is another story..

ccha9219

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

ccha9219, first of all Welcome to the forum. :)

My appologies, I am so conditioned to 517.30, that when we speak of two systems, I think of "Emergency" as being both "Critical" and "Life Safety" branches. :eek:

I have some FL license and govenment web sites bookmarked at work, I'll see what I can find next week.

Roger

ccha9219

thank you...
I was conditioned that way also...
but in trying to get out of cutting up a new parking lot and pulling out 350' of parallel 500 mcm and then haveing to redo it all I reconditioned myself :)

joek

Many people forget the NEC code book is just a book. The local inspection authority can accept the NEC as is, reject the entire book, change what they want. Remember, the inspector has the final say. He's the one that signs off on the ticket, and one inspector will not usually override another inspector. If the book says paint it green and he wants it pink, paint it pink. You got who you got, arguing with him is a no no. Asking questions is good, then do it his way.

ccha9219

I agree
the enitre book is a set of MINIMUM standards
that renders itself powerless with one sentence
"local body holding juristiction"
ccha9219

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Joek, sorry, but if the AHJ is going to amend, exceed, reject, romance, dance with, or use the NEC as a napkin, it must give a formal set of rules or standards to follow, or there will be anarchy in the least.

Now if you are going to roll over and accept this, so be it, but you are only doing yourself, the trade, and the AHJ injustice.

Roger

[ February 20, 2004, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

joek

Roger, the point is - do it the inspector's way, get the ticket signed off, get paid, and get out of there. The next time you do a similar job, first call the inspector.
Remember, sometimes the bear bites you, sometimes you bite the bear.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by joek:
Roger, the point is - do it the inspector's way, get the ticket signed off, get paid, and get out of there. The next time you do a similar job, first call the inspector.
Remember, sometimes the bear bites you, sometimes you bite the bear.
So you would do an improper installation just to get paid?

Do you sleep well doing this?

Roger

joek

CCHA9219 - Back to the orginal question.

Re: Panel Wiring - There are townships in my area which requires the neutural and grounding wires be installed on separate bars. Some go as far as requiring the bare copper wire be wrapped in green tape.

Re: Surge Protector - Since the nursing home has sensitive monitoring and life support systems, they must be protected from electrical surges when the generator comes on. This is required in my area.

Re: Conduit wiring - You did not mention if the lighting conductors are for general or essential wiring. Also the critical wiring serves the fire alarm system and emergency call alarms. If the fire alarm system is power-limited you need to check 760.55 for cable separations.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by joek: CCHA9219 - Back to the orginal question.

Re: Panel Wiring - There are townships in my area which requires the neutural and grounding wires be installed on separate bars. Some go as far as requiring the bare copper wire be wrapped in green tape.
Do these townships have formal amendments for these requirements, or is it just somebodies whim?

Re: Surge Protector - Since the nursing home has sensitive monitoring and life support systems, they must be protected from electrical surges when the generator comes on. This is required in my area.
This may be required in your area, and may be a good idea, but it is not required by the NEC.

Re: Conduit wiring - You did not mention if the lighting conductors are for general or essential wiring. Also the critical wiring serves the fire alarm system and emergency call alarms. If the fire alarm system is power-limited you need to check 760.55 for cable separations.
The critical branch can not serve the F/A or any Alarm and Alerting Systems see 517.42(C) and 517.43.

Roger

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by joek:
There are townships in my area which requires the neutural and grounding wires be installed on separate bars.
Just to be clear you are talking about a service panel that includes the service disconnect?

If the service disconnect is not in this panel the NEC requires the separation.

[ February 21, 2004, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

joek

Roger - Yes they do have these requirements in writing. They are local admendments to the NEC.

Iwire - These townships now require separation in the main panel, always did in sub-panels.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by ccha9219:
He failed the main service because the grds and ntrl on the same bus bar
(he made us move the green wires to ground bar
and the white wires to the nut. bar )
Depending on how the bonding is done (how the ground bar is connected to the neutral bar) That might be a problem with neutral wires on the ground bar.

If the neutral bar is bonded directly to the steel of the enclosure by a screw or strap and the ground bar is fastened to the directly to the enclosure with no copper or aluminum conductor between them I feel that violates 110.5

110.5 Conductors.
Conductors normally used to carry current shall be of copper unless otherwise provided in this Code. Where the conductor material is not specified, the material and the sizes given in this Code shall apply to copper conductors. Where other materials are used, the size shall be changed accordingly.
While 250.118 lets us use the steel of an enclosure for grounding (not normally carrying current) I do not see any article that allows using the steel of an enclosure as a conductor that normally carries current as a neutral does.

Bob

[ February 21, 2004, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

Status
Not open for further replies.