AHJ Approval of non listed parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
HI folks,

I have a situation where the parts on hand do not have a NRTL listing.

The 1/2, 3/4 1 and1/2 and 2 and 1/2 Stainless Meyers Hubs are listed--according to the company the 1" and 2" are still in the testing process and UL will not confirm that.

The product is on hand and is of high quality.

I remember something about what I thought was NEC that said "If it is acceptable to the AHJ" or some such wording , that we could use non listed equipment.

I need that reference to back up my request to our PE in charge so she has the ammo to go ahead and ok the use.

Any idea where that is??

As always--Thanks folks!!!Yer awesome!!

Rich

kwired

Electron manager
Hopefully you have a AHJ representative that is reasonable, even if they reject what you want, they are hopefully willing to help you come up with a solution to your problem that works for both of you.

My thoughts are if you are dealing with stainless hubs, there are some pretty valid reasons to not use other types of metals, or even something non metallic. Chances are others have had similar problems before. This is also how suitable products get developed over time.

When dealing with inspectors of any type nothing is worse then an inspector with a God complex, where he thinks he has all the power. Unusual situations come up and he has to be able to work with people when that happens.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The product is on hand and is of high quality.

I remember something about what I thought was NEC that said "If it is acceptable to the AHJ" or some such wording , that we could use non listed equipment.

I need that reference to back up my request to our PE in charge so she has the ammo to go ahead and ok the use.

There is 90.4.

Roger

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
90.4 did it--Thanks!!

kwired;

I am the lead inspector on this and have the Construction Engineer's backing--I just needed something that showed her she had the authority to do what I was asking. The problem was just that it hadn't been listed yet. We do have another issue with Hot dipped galvanized versus zinc-electroplated but we finally got the EOR to agree with our assessment and use the plated indoors.:happyno:

Now if we can just get them to understand that you have to use the manufacturers loads for voltage drop calcs and not some funky mili- amp number they made up because they didn't know what equipment, exactly, was going in there, and try to push 120 VAC 1500 feet at 3 amps down a # 10 wire:rant:

Thanks again folks!! You nailed it!

kwired

Electron manager
90.4 did it--Thanks!!

kwired;

I am the lead inspector on this and have the Construction Engineer's backing--I just needed something that showed her she had the authority to do what I was asking. The problem was just that it hadn't been listed yet. We do have another issue with Hot dipped galvanized versus zinc-electroplated but we finally got the EOR to agree with our assessment and use the plated indoors.:happyno:

Now if we can just get them to understand that you have to use the manufacturers loads for voltage drop calcs and not some funky mili- amp number they made up because they didn't know what equipment, exactly, was going in there, and try to push 120 VAC 1500 feet at 3 amps down a # 10 wire:rant:

Thanks again folks!! You nailed it!
Your jurisdiction may set voltage drop requirements, NEC doesn't. It only gives suggestions in informational notes. Some loads do not really have much operational impact from higher levels of voltage drop then others. If a heater element sees 8% drop instead of 3%, is there really any harm there unless the heater was marginally sized (to an extreme) for the application to begin with?

mwm1752

There are many interpretations to AHJ -- could be an inspector in any dept but IMO when authorizing components having the CBO sign of is the proper way. The ultimate AHJ is really the CBO of the dept IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.