Algebra work book recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
090704-1243 EST

iwire:

I stopped at Barnes & Noble this morning, and took a quick look at Algebra for Dummies. The book is accurate, but I think you would find it laborious.

What you need has a lot to do with your background. Did you have a high school class in algebra? What have you learned about numbers and operations on them form your work experience and various classes?

I found two other books that you might find more useful than the Dummies book. These are
Quick Algebra Review by Peter Selby ISBN 0-471-57843-6, and
Practical Algebra by Peter Selby ISBN 0-471-53012-3.

Some quick hints for you:

1. Always look for the possibility of a divide by 0. This is indeterminate unless you know how the equation responds as the divisor approaches 0. The result could be anything including infinity.
For example:
y = 1/sin x approaches infinity as x approaches 0.
y = 2*sin x / sin x = 2 for any value of x.

2. +, -, *, /, ^ are operators. You need to be very familiar with their precedence. For example:
z = x + y*x^2 . By convention you calculate x^2 first, then its result times y, and last add x. This precedence can be clarified by parens as follows:
z = x + ( y * (x^2) ) .
A quite different result would occur if the parens were shifted as follows:
z = ( x + y ) * ( x^2 )

3. Note I have used * instead of x for multiplication because much of the time x, y, z, and t are used as variables. Also / for division because most typewriters do not have the conventional ./. division symbol. Also sometimes a large centered dot is used for multiplication, but that is not on most keyboards, and thus * is really the common symbol for multiplication. Also it is quite common to use caps for constants. For example:
y = A*x + C*x^2 = A*x + C*x*x = x ( A + C*x )

4. You can always add, subtract, multiply, or divide the same value to both sides of an equation. You can always multiply or divide both the numerator and denominator of a fraction by the same value. For example:
y = A + B*x
y/x = A/x + B

5. The equation
y = C*x + A when plotted produces a straight line that intersects the Y-axis at a value of A, and the X-axis at a value of
0 = C*x + A or
X = - A/C .
This curve has a positive slope of C . In other words a change of +1 in x produces a change of +C*1 in y .

6. The equation
x^2 + y^2 = C^2
is a circle of radius C . This you can check with y = 0 and separately with x = 0. Note the solution to
x^2 = C^2 has two values which are x = +C and -C. (-C)^2 = C^2 because (-1)^2*(C)^2 = 1*C^2 . Also consider the point where x and y are equal (45 deg). 2*x^2 = C^2 has a solution of x = +/- C/sq-root of 2, or C/1.414 = 0.707*C . And sin 45 = 0.707 .

Last edited:

Besoeker

In the fall I am going to a class aimed at a "NABCEP" certification.. The info about the class states "Interested participants must possess strong skill in basic algebra and calculations' Well that currently rules me out.

My goal is to change that situation over the next two months. Seeing as they specified basic knowledge I think it is possible I can do that myself.

I was hoping that someone could recommend some good books for beginners. Or any other recommendations, I would like to do well at this class.:smile:

Thanks in advance, Bob

Check your PMs.

Doug S.

I figured I could sit home in the evenings and watch TV or take classes, even my mind can't be damaged by this.

Thanks, that last statement made my night. I don't do TV, so I either tinker, or let some one teach for a while so I can tinker on something else...

I think I'm on year 12 at the CC, sometimes a few classes, some times one or none. I might get a piece of paper some day, but I've been all over the board from electronics, to programming, to math. It's REALLY made the difference in my career and the cost is minimal compared to the return. Especially when the company pics up the cost of tuition! =)

Bob, I wish you luck regardless of your choice.

One key for me was when a prof. said that it's a language. <BING> The light went on. Why did it take 15 years? ( I guess I'm slow ) It's just different ways of explaining numbers and relationships. From there on out it's been easy. I recently took a trig. class and loved it. ( As Hillbilly mentioned it's a potential addiction. )
Another trick for me is to write down everything, and when a prof. or text book doesn't cover it in a way that is easy for me to grasp I figure out a way to "document it" in a meaningful way to me.

I'll shut-up now,
Doug S.

sparkyboys

just remember that algebra is just a bunch of variables. there are no numbers to plug in to solve for problems. you always solve for "x" or functions like g(f). problems solved actually come out as other problems. true you will learn how numbers solve for "x" in the beginning, but other than that, everything will solve for "x". with ohms law there are always two factors for the variables, with only one factor, the problem can not be solved...only giving another equation to solve.

sparkyboys

example

example

x=a(a + b)(a + b)
x=(a^2 + ab) x (a^2 + ab)
x=2a^2 + ab^2
problem solved, unless you plug in numbers for variables, then "x" can be solved. This is simple algebra. And it does become more complex. but this is the basics.

gar

Occupation
EE
090704-2020 EST

sparkyboys:

Please redo your example. Check your sequence.

First operation
x = (a^2 + ab )(a + b)
or
x = a * ( a^2 + 2ab + b^2)

macmikeman

Bob,

There are a lot of interactive courses available in CD format.
I purchased Math Advantage from Costco to help my son out.
Reasonably priced, lot of useful info, relatively painless, actually kind of fun.
You can complete it at your at you own leisure, and repeat the modules over and over again until your comfortable.

It's not going to make anyone a mathematician, but it's a good start.

Also try Amazon.

Brian's suggestion probably offers similar advantages and it's offered by a reliable/legitimate source.

I'll second that. I bought Math Advantage also about 8 years ago for my oldest for her to help with middle school algebra, and ended up using it for myself later cause I have forgotton just about all I ever learned in math classes. Its great for refresher. The package has cds from pre algebra up to and including calculus level. Didn't cost much. Wonder if they have one for grammer and spelling too, cause I really need that one.

gndrod

Algebra related to electricians and electronics

Algebra related to electricians and electronics

In the fall I am going to a class aimed at a "NABCEP" certification.. The info about the class states "Interested participants must possess strong skill in basic algebra and calculations' Well that currently rules me out.

My goal is to change that situation over the next two months. Seeing as they specified basic knowledge I think it is possible I can do that myself.

I was hoping that someone could recommend some good books for beginners. Or any other recommendations, I would like to do well at this class.:smile:

Thanks in advance, Bob

Hi Bob,

I think there is a book that may suit your needs that is on Amazon for around $5. Of all the electronics and electrical books I kept and still refer to is 'MATHEMATICS ESSENTIAL to ELECTRICITY and RADIO' by Nelson M. Cook and Joseph B. Orleans. The book is being used for algebra basics used in conjunction with Ohm's Law (Series ckts, resistance-wire series), Kirchoffs Law (Algebraic fractions), Generator, motor, battery circuits...etc. along with Trig functions, Logs and their associated electrical applications.

The first 51 pages preps the reader with basic Algebra leading up to circuit applications. Edition 1 came out in 1943 and was still mandatory in my first year (1955) college electrical and electronics basics. The associated electrical math is necessary and still up to analog standards.

Like I mentioned, I still refer to it and with my failing memory, the math is easy. Can't lose for the green book price. Hope this helps. rbj

gndrod

In addition to above book

In addition to above book

Dang, someone has got to increase the 10 minute limit here. Anyway I forgot to mention, the book has answers in the back of the book to all exercises and problems. rbj

Besoeker

And, for a bit of levity, but still on the subject of mathematics:

There was a mathematician named Hall
Who had a hexahedronical ball
The cube of its weight
Twice his pecker plus eight
Was four fifths of five eights of sod all*

*Sod all is a British expression meaning nothing or nil and "sod" is just a little less rude than the more commonly used four-letter word.

no title

no title

because you asked for "any other recommendations", here you go. practice practice practice! A wise professor once told me "this is not a spectator sport. just because I make it look easy, doesn't make it so."

my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.