alternatives for UG physical protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
With PVC prices thru the roof, I am looking at alternatives for physical protection of underground conductors. Lets say the wire is direct bury so it doesnt need to be any sort of NEC approved conduit. Lets also assume we are talking very rocky soil so just direct burying without any protection is not a good idea. Lets also throw in the option of "sleeving" whatever the stuff we have over the wire instead of pulling thru a made up system. For the sake of discussion say we are talking long runs. I have one coming up that is 1000', another is 2000'

Sand: Sand is a total PIA IMO and not a great option.

SDR-35 4" sewer pipe. A bit thinner than sched 40 but I think would provide plenty of protection. Cant believe how much cheaper it is that sched 40 elec conduit. lowes has it for $13 per 10 foot stick when bought in bulk. They appear to have good stock in various stores in my area. kinda overkill size wise for many things. Too bad they dont have it in 2 or 3 inch.

Any other ideas?

Todd0x1

What about HDPE conduit?

I just measured that SDR sewer pipe I mentioned in the OP. The wall thickness is .120, half of the .240 wall thickness for 4" sched 40. I would be fine with that for many applications. Its interesting though so it has essentially half the resin as sched 40 but is way less than half the price.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Perhaps being sewer pipe the resin isn't the same standard as that used for drinking water or for conduit.

Todd0x1

Yeah I thought about that but havent priced it. I am working on getting a quote for Cable conn for an upcoming project....

It can be pretty cheap, but you need to find a distributor who moves alot of it and will give you a good price. I would also have this distributor check with the manufacturers to see if they have remnants or overruns they want to move.

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
I've seen people use corrugated drain tile. Seems like a PITA to sleeve wire into though. And I have no idea of prices these days.

I've seen people use corrugated drain tile. Seems like a PITA to sleeve wire into though. And I have no idea of prices these days.
Like the HDPE stuff? There is this stuff which also commonly available without the holes. ITs pretty cheap, about the cost of what 2" PVC was a year ago.

I wouldnt trust the stuff to not collapse over time, but would probably still offer enough protection.

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
Like the HDPE stuff? There is this stuff which also commonly available without the holes. ITs pretty cheap, about the cost of what 2" PVC was a year ago.

I wouldnt trust the stuff to not collapse over time, but would probably still offer enough protection.
I was thinking of this stuff. It comes with or without a 'sock.' Perforated or not.
1620156755977.png

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
With PVC prices thru the roof, I am looking at alternatives for physical protection of underground conductors. Lets say the wire is direct bury so it doesnt need to be any sort of NEC approved conduit. Lets also assume we are talking very rocky soil so just direct burying without any protection is not a good idea. Lets also throw in the option of "sleeving" whatever the stuff we have over the wire instead of pulling thru a made up system. For the sake of discussion say we are talking long runs. I have one coming up that is 1000', another is 2000'

Sand: Sand is a total PIA IMO and not a great option.

SDR-35 4" sewer pipe. A bit thinner than sched 40 but I think would provide plenty of protection. Cant believe how much cheaper it is that sched 40 elec conduit. lowes has it for $13 per 10 foot stick when bought in bulk. They appear to have good stock in various stores in my area. kinda overkill size wise for many things. Too bad they dont have it in 2 or 3 inch.

Any other ideas?

get a roll of HDPE SDR 13.5 in orange or red.
Last I priced was about 1.9 per ft.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Here's an example of HDPE conduit offered by one seller on Ebay:

I've had no dealings with them, and so this is just a suggestion.

Here's an example of HDPE conduit offered by one seller on Ebay:

I've had no dealings with them, and so this is just a suggestion.
definitely a lot cheaper than PVC right now

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
Is HDPE conduit approved for any kind of general electrical use these days? I understand the OP is looking for extra protection over already direct-bury rated wire. I see the stuff being installed all over on the roadsides. We've been using a vibratory plow lately in lieu of trenching. We glue together many sticks of PVC, make sure the glue is well set, and it works okay. I've been tempted by the HDPE stuff, though. It is not a recognized Chapter 3 method currently, correct?

[Edit: Should have looked first--Article 353]

Status
Not open for further replies.