alternatives to trenching

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
When one reaches max pull, the other is latched onto the wire, first is released, cranking second to max, then connect first again, pulling it tighter. One is always connected holding the wire.
So you are taking it up in a lot of "short bites" I take it, unless you have some sort of lift where you are able to access the cable further away from the attachment point?

I almost always do a "one shot" pull so to speak, unless I find out my grip point needs relocated after the first attempt, then I would need to let it down and redo the grip point. Handiest for me has been rope through the attachment knob and tied to the cable and someone on the ground to pull the rope. But I seldom hang anything over 2 AWG so the force needed isn't normally too great. Most anything larger than that has either been short runs or is a POCO drop and they are hanging it. Long runs of higher capacities usually end up underground in most of what I have done.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
So you are taking it up in a lot of "short bites" I take it, unless you have some sort of lift where you are able to access the cable further away from the attachment point?

I almost always do a "one shot" pull so to speak, unless I find out my grip point needs relocated after the first attempt, then I would need to let it down and redo the grip point. Handiest for me has been rope through the attachment knob and tied to the cable and someone on the ground to pull the rope. But I seldom hang anything over 2 AWG so the force needed isn't normally too great. Most anything larger than that has either been short runs or is a POCO drop and they are hanging it. Long runs of higher capacities usually end up underground in most of what I have done.
The one in the picture is 1/0 quad. Quite a bit heavier than #2. 15’ pulls at a time. Takes about three pulls from ground level @ 60’ of wire.

kwired

Electron manager
The one in the picture is 1/0 quad. Quite a bit heavier than #2. 15’ pulls at a time. Takes about three pulls from ground level @ 60’ of wire.
1/0 triplex is heavy enough. Not certain how many times I might have installed 1/0 Quad. Probably can count on my fingers (maybe even just one hand) though.

Status
Not open for further replies.