Another Clueless Customer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

I agree. That's not business, that's just stupid.

What book is that from?

Unlike the some I don't run my business from a book but from the expierience gained from a lifetime..When I see a new EC I don't think "gee what can I do to help them take part of my market" I think what do I need to do to KEEP them from having any of my market. That is the core of business and to think any other way is stupid. They are called the compitition for a reason,business is a competition and I will not settle for a tie.I like Gen Patton who was credited with saying the idea is not to die for your counrtry but make the other SOB die for his.My goal is to be number one and for that to happen all the rest of you get to be number two. If you think that stupid then you have made reaching my goal that much easier. Its just business.

Dnkldorf

Unlike the some I don't run my business from a book but from the expierience gained from a lifetime..When I see a new EC I don't think "gee what can I do to help them take part of my market" I think what do I need to do to KEEP them from having any of my market. That is the core of business and to think any other way is stupid. They are called the compitition for a reason,business is a competition and I will not settle for a tie.I like Gen Patton who was credited with saying the idea is not to die for your counrtry but make the other SOB die for his.My goal is to be number one and for that to happen all the rest of you get to be number two. If you think that stupid then you have made reaching my goal that much easier. Its just business.

This is actually very sound.

I wouldn't help a new EC do what I'm doing, and show him who I do it for. But if he is in a entirely different market in EC and needed some advice......I'd give it to him/her.

360Youth

I wouldn't help a new EC do what I'm doing, and show him who I do it for. But if he is in a entirely different market in EC and needed some advice......I'd give it to him/her.

I agree, to an extent I am not in favor of any one doing what I am doing, but I think I am better served to be somebody's friend, not enemy. If I try and put somebody out of business, directly or indirectly, and fail, where does that leave me then? If he wants to do better than me he is going to have to earn it. But I am not going to put him out of business. If he can do it better than me that is my fault, not his.

Last edited:

peter d

I agree. That's not business, that's just stupid.

Yeah...very stupid. That's the first time I ever heard someone admit one of their goals is to bury the competition. I assume this can only be done effectively by undercutting price. I sure would like to know how Mr. Rewire pulls this off and stays profitable.

Rewire

Yeah...very stupid. That's the first time I ever heard someone admit one of their goals is to bury the competition. I assume this can only be done effectively by undercutting price. I sure would like to know how Mr. Rewire pulls this off and stays profitable.

What is stupid about wanting to be at the top?I guess you believe that it is impossible to effectively undercut your competition and still be profitable.

Dnkldorf

That's the first time I ever heard someone admit one of their goals is to bury the competition. I assume this can only be done effectively by undercutting price.

You would assume wrong.

Price only matters to price people and people who market to them.

Last edited:

peter d

What is stupid about wanting to be at the top?I guess you believe that it is impossible to effectively undercut your competition and still be profitable.

I don't believe it's impossible. I do believe it makes it that much harder to be profitable though, in an already hyper competitive market.

emahler

I don't believe it's impossible. I do believe it makes it that much harder to be profitable though, in an already hyper competitive market.

i believe it is impossible to undercut your competition and still make a profit....unless you don't pay your labor top wages or benefits....don't provide top of the line tools, vehicles, etc....yada, yada, yada....

no matter how much you try, you can't sell a $100 bill for $95 and think that you are making a profit....

Kdog76

no matter how much you try, you can't sell a $100 bill for $95 and think that you are making a profit....

You sure can... remember that thinking and doing are two different things. Think I'm splitting hairs? Maybe, but the other guy that is shortselling himself may not think that he is. That's the issue.

jmsbrush

I personally try to help educate my fellow contractor's even if they are my competition.
Why? Because the contractors that do not know better, are bringing the trade down and they don't even know it.
I have found when you help your fellow man, help will find you when you are in need.
Here's a quote, and its not mine. "A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle".

jmsbrush

Getting back on topic, All we can do is our best. There will always be price shoppers. Its been said 100 times find your break even and add profit.
Working for less than your break even will make you go broke.
Maybe some don't realize it because their spouse is bring in an income or they have some money in saving. Either way its just a slower crash. The end result will still be a crash.

emahler

You sure can... remember that thinking and doing are two different things. Think I'm splitting hairs? Maybe, but the other guy that is shortselling himself may not think that he is. That's the issue.

delusion does not equal thinking....

Rewire

i believe it is impossible to undercut your competition and still make a profit....unless you don't pay your labor top wages or benefits....don't provide top of the line tools, vehicles, etc....yada, yada, yada....

The idea is not to sell the $100 bill for $95 ,the secret is to be able to acquire the $100 bill for $50 and not for $90. You have to control your costs if that means not paying top wages and benefits then so be it and keep the used truck one more year.I love the Wal Mart model I think it can be duplicated with almost any business.Any business model that can make its owner the riches man in the world gets my attention.

emahler

The idea is not to sell the $100 bill for $95 ,the secret is to be able to acquire the $100 bill for $50 and not for $90. You have to control your costs if that means not paying top wages and benefits then so be it and keep the used truck one more year.I love the Wal Mart model I think it can be duplicated with almost any business.Any business model that can make its owner the riches man in the world gets my attention.

have at it...i prefer being able to walk into a room full of my peers and not be ostracized...doesn't mean i do things the way they do, but i don't screw them in the process...

there are only 3 ways to get a $100 bill for less than $100...it's counterfeit, it's stolen, or you have a sugar daddy who gives it to you to do as you wish....

Status
Not open for further replies.