Any issue with Leviton load center

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Client has https://www.leviton.com/en/products/lr420-bdd
they have a " tiny home" that was wired up in Washington. I just ran the service to the building. She fired the guys doing the work. they wired this unit very very bad. All wires are just free floating in the walls I can pull out 10 of unstrapped wire by just tugging on them when receptacle is out.
So 1/4 of here afci breaker trip under any load more that 600 watts.
I fixed one circuit that tripped on any thing over 100 watts. ran new wire and now she golden.
Since she now has called and has multiple issue I thinking I am going to have to meager all her circuits. But before that, How are these Panels???? I have never seen them and they look like junk.
if there no know problem then I think they hit some wires with some screws.
Any known problems with them.

andyman

I see these used in some modular homes that are built in washington state. At first I thought they looked like junk but when square D couldn't keep up with demand I bought a 200A 30 space 3R load center and thought it was better built that the Square D stuff, it certainly weighed more and i liked the available accessories like feed thru lugs. On square D panels if you want feed thru you have to buy a 4 space sub feed lug kit for like $350. Anyway, the Square D drought is over so I'm back on it but for that single Leviton example I thought it was pretty good and would not hestiate to buy again.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Nice thing with the Lev panel is you can make all terminations at the rough-in, making for a neater looking install. For those inclined they also have WiFi capable to monitor and turn off via WiFi. AFCI also updatable via WiFi for equipment specific trip issues.
Down side is I can see it more like the old fuse system where all it took is install a larger fuse if it kept blowing. Without any termination actually on the breaker (the one hold back for most doing their own change) the HO would be just as likely to just plug in a larger breaker as they were for the fuses. (Don't unplug the 2 crock pots, Coffee pot and air fryer on one circuit that keeps tripping the breaker just put in a bigger breaker.)

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
All wires are just free floating in the walls I can pull out 10 of unstrapped wire by just tugging on them when receptacle is out.

I know that this wasn't your question. Do you think that wires wires may have been installed after the walls were installed?

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I don’t think so. I think they had one wall in than wires then finished other side, I they used remodel boxes then I would be more incline to your idea. No stapes anywere. I won’t know unless I open the wall. The people that make these are a large producer of tiny homes in Washington. Very terrible work.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
So back to the breakers.
There is probably a light that is mimicking a series arc signature. Leviton makes a wifi connect able afci about $100 or so that they can change the programming to ignore a nuisance.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
She had this problem in another unit on site( two tint homes on premise) I ran new wire from breaker it’s running fine.

I had her go around and tell me what area trips. She is using a toaster oven for a pure resistance load. Breakers do not trip until she turns the toaster on .
Both kit and bedroom circuit are tripping.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
She had this problem in another unit on site( two tint homes on premise) I ran new wire from breaker it’s running fine.

I had her go around and tell me what area trips. She is using a toaster oven for a pure resistance load. Breakers do not trip until she turns the toaster on .
Both kit and bedroom circuit are tripping.
If the kitchen is gfied you can remove that afci so long as she's not taking it to a place that doesn't have that amendment.

Are the bedroom and kitchen circuit tripping simultaneously?

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
there tripping on any substance load. Lights don’t trip it.
They trip independent of each other.

The guys she had wire are sending her. The version 2 of these breakers.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
there tripping on any substance load. Lights don’t trip it.
They trip independent of each other.

The guys she had wire are sending her. The version 2 of these breakers.
Those afci won't trip under "series arc" conditions until a certain amount of load is applied so either it's a bad breaker or it's actually picking up something it doesn't like

garbo

Client has https://www.leviton.com/en/products/lr420-bdd
they have a " tiny home" that was wired up in Washington. I just ran the service to the building. She fired the guys doing the work. they wired this unit very very bad. All wires are just free floating in the walls I can pull out 10 of unstrapped wire by just tugging on them when receptacle is out.
So 1/4 of here afci breaker trip under any load more that 600 watts.
I fixed one circuit that tripped on any thing over 100 watts. ran new wire and now she golden.
Since she now has called and has multiple issue I thinking I am going to have to meager all her circuits. But before that, How are these Panels???? I have never seen them and they look like junk.
if there no know problem then I think they hit some wires with some screws.
Any known problems with them.
Just my feelings but the Leviton circuit breakers are made in lack of quality control communist china. I would not install any electrical products made in china in my own home. I'm a Viet Nam vet and proud to say that I only own one tool made in china. A Craftsman warranty rep!acement tool. Leviton panels are made in Mexico. No thanks.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
Just my feelings but the Leviton circuit breakers are made in lack of quality control communist china. I would not install any electrical products made in china in my own home. I'm a Viet Nam vet and proud to say that I only own one tool made in china. A Craftsman warranty rep!acement tool. Leviton panels are made in Mexico. No thanks.
I'm pretty sure the last batch of NEMA 3R QO panels I bought were stamped "Made in Mexico". Not to mention, I feel like an autobody mechanic having to twist them back into shape to get the doors to open properly.

I'm sure you have a lot of Made in China stuff in your house, including electrical. Where was your phone made? LED light bulbs? Other electronics for just about everyting in your house?

Chest pounding just makes you look silly.

andyman

Are you sure that arc fault are even required for a tiny home? When I have been into new manufactured homes I a have noticed that they do not include any AFCI as we are required to do. I wonder if this is because the homes are approved in another state that is working off older code cycles of the code, like Idaho or something. Anyway, you should consider that if this tiny home does not have 1 of the 3 things required to qualify as a dwelling (kitchen, bedroom, bathroom) than it is not a dwelling and AFCI is not required. When I wire studios that detached from the main house and if they don't have everything required to be considered a dwelling I do not install AFCI breakers in the panel. life hack

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Are you sure that arc fault are even required for a tiny home? When I have been into new manufactured homes I a have noticed that they do not include any AFCI as we are required to do. I wonder if this is because the homes are approved in another state that is working off older code cycles of the code, like Idaho or something. Anyway, you should consider that if this tiny home does not have 1 of the 3 things required to qualify as a dwelling (kitchen, bedroom, bathroom) than it is not a dwelling and AFCI is not required. When I wire studios that detached from the main house and if they don't have everything required to be considered a dwelling I do not install AFCI breakers in the panel. life hack
They are supposed to follow HUD with certain afci rules

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Since she now has called and has multiple issue I thinking I am going to have to meager all her circuits. But before that, How are these Panels????
Worked with Leviton OBCD's for years. Like most AFCI's they can operate from arcs, but occupancy-caused noise is the typical cause.
if they don't have everything required to be considered a dwelling I do not install AFCI breakers
Since most electricians avoid occupants, they avoid occupancy hazards that trigger AFCI's.