Any one have documentation on aluminum wire from 70’s

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Agreed its a violation, though rarely enforced or noticed I just wanted to make sure people whom cut corners and use it were aware the lesser alloys is still in use. I often see stripped SER or URD triplex cable pulled all the way to the meter, and I have seen many installs where they used it to the main breaker that are not a listed NEC wire type.
Such as this one:
forums.mikeholt.com/threads/aluminum-wire.2579305/page-3#post-2900673
SE cable, of which SER is one type of, is in the code and both the code and the product standard requires the use of the AA-8000 series alloys.
USE is permitted to use the 1350 alloy.

Now the issue of stripping the jacket off of the SE is a different issue from that of the conductor alloy.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
This aluminum thing was all started by HUD, to save money. If any city refused to allow aluminum wiring in their building code they would be blocked for any federal funding for new housing in their city.

SE cable, of which SER is one type of, is in the code and both the code and the product standard requires the use of the AA-8000 series alloys.
USE is permitted to use the 1350 alloy.

Now the issue of stripping the jacket off of the SE is a different issue from that of the conductor alloy.

Agreed its a violation, though rarely enforced or noticed I just wanted to make sure people whom cut corners and use it were aware the lesser alloys is still in use. I often see stripped SER or URD triplex cable pulled all the way to the meter, and I have seen many installs where they used it to the main breaker that are not a listed NEC wire type.
Such as this one:
forums.mikeholt.com/threads/aluminum-wire.2579305/page-3#post-2900673
Every SE cable I have seen has XHHW or THWN inners so there is no issue cannibalizing SE for individual conductors.

This aluminum thing was all started by HUD, to save money. If any city refused to allow aluminum wiring in their building code they would be blocked for any federal funding for new housing in their city.
Do you have a source for that? I have never heard that, and just that the use of aluminum branch circuit wiring was because of very high copper prices in the 60's.

mtnelect

Occupation
During that time, I had many service calls of receptacles burning up because of loose aluminum wiring. How about you ?

mtnelect

Occupation
IF you ever want to post a source for your statement that HUD started AL wiring, just post it on the forum here, we would all like to see it.

In the City of Los Angeles aluminum "Romex" was not approved, but around 1960 HUD started an aggressive rollout of low-cost housing regulations to support low-income earners like Section 8. Around that time, the City of Los Angeles changed its electrical code to allow it, including other low-cost building materials. Like plastic water, sewer and gas lines.

I believe other jurisdictions around the country did the same.

I agree it was because aluminum was cheaper than copper.

It was a more subtle change, not just HUD requiring aluminum Romex, only for low-cost housing.