Anybody have any pics of nm-b running board install

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky1974

Does anybody have any pics of a running board install. I normally drill through joists. I got an old house to do, and looks like drillng the joists will be like drilling rocks. looks like all oak timbers. House is from 1850. Not sure if the running board is next to wires or if the wires are stapled to the board. Thanks Jason

celtic

Exhibit3341.jpg

Does this work for you?

bjp_ne_elec

Celtic - where did you get pic? That would certainly do it for me. Like they say, a pic is worth 1000 words - and that photo certainly might be worth more that 1000.

JohnJ0906

bjp_ne_elec said:
Celtic - where did you get pic? That would certainly do it for me. Like they say, a pic is worth 1000 words - and that photo certainly might be worth more that 1000.

That looks exactly like the picture from the NEC handbook.

celtic said:
The handbook of course.

You might be able to use something like this also:
C_CABLEWAY_Installation_Instructions.jpg

CABLEWAY? Cable Runway Support System from Arlington.

I think derating may become a factor with this item though :-?

This topic came up at the IAEI Eastern Section meeting.
The UL representative, John Conjemi stated that this item is not listed as a suppport system, and the cables installed in the assembly will require ampacity adjustments as per 310.15(B)(2)(a).

celtic

Pierre C Belarge said:
The UL representative, John Conjemi stated that this item is not listed as a suppport system, and the cables installed in the assembly will require ampacity adjustments as per 310.15(B)(2)(a).

Would the same be required IF a chase covered with sheet rock was built?

ceb58

Pierre C Belarge said:

UL.gif
Listed as a cable runway​

support system

Try Arlington?s new easy-to-install CABLEWAY? for a secure, UL Listed cable runway support system.

This is what they say. I remember a discussion on this and I thought that since the wire is not enclosed derating did not come into play.​

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I think the rules regarding NM and derating could really use some clarification. For example, in my area 3M Stak-Its are overlooked for derating even though their packaging states that we need to worry about it. At the same time, cable ties are frowned on.

And then there's the whole "insulated hole" issue now, as well... :roll:

I think Celtic brings up the most valid point, and I'll add my own: do I need a listed 2x4 to nail my romex to?

My faith is shaken - I thought I knew how to drive a staple until I was handed a box of those plastic pieces of junk. :)

mdshunk

peter d said:
I'm not paid to make artwork....I'm paid to make electrical things work. :)
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who uses NM staples to attach MC to wood. I tip them on an angle, though, for a more stealth look. They blend with the MC that way.

peter d

mdshunk said:
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who uses NM staples to attach MC to wood. I tip them on an angle, though, for a more stealth look. They blend with the MC that way.

Here's where the regional distinctions come into play. Since 99.99% of the time we use insulated staples for NM cable here, we refer to the uninsulated staples as "BX staples" or "MC staples"

Status
Not open for further replies.