Arc Fault Label

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the following information found on a label meet the requirements of NFPA 70E.

24 Inches - Flash Hazard Boundary
3 - cal/cm sq Flash at 18 incheses
1 - PPE Level, 1 Layer 6 oz. Nomex, Leather gloves, Faceshield
480 VAC - Shock Hazard when Cover is removed
42 Inch - Limited Approach
12 inch - Resitricted Approach - 5oo V Class 00 Gloves
1 Inch - Prohibited Approach - 500 V Class 00 Gloves

Nomex is a FR material usually requiring several layers for protecting against molten metals. This was the label installed on a panel. If it doesn't satisfy the 70E what should the label contain?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It more than meets the requirements of NFPA70E, even the new 2012 edition. In fact it contains more information than I like to see on labels (i.e. a written description of only a few of the items needed to worn for specific PPE). The NEC does not require much more than the words 'Arc Flash Hazard'.

It more than meets the requirements of NFPA70E, even the new 2012 edition. In fact it contains more information than I like to see on labels (i.e. a written description of only a few of the items needed to worn for specific PPE). The NEC does not require much more than the words 'Arc Flash Hazard'.

NFPA 70E section 130.3 (C) states Equipment shall be field marked with a label containing the available incident energy or required level of PPE. This label identifies Nomex clothing and Leather gloves. The leather gloves should be electrical rubber gloves rated at 1000 Volts however, I am not sure of the Nomex attire. Nomex is used mainly for fires and can not withstand molten metals unless used in multiple layers. I'm not sure if Nomex is an approved PPE for protecting against an arc flash? Any taughts...

zog

The leather gloves should be electrical rubber gloves rated at 1000 Volts
No, leather gloves, nto rubber, are require for arc flash protection. He has the rubber gloves under the shock hazard part of the label, where it belongs.

however, I am not sure of the Nomex attire. Nomex is used mainly for fires and can not withstand molten metals unless used in multiple layers. I'm not sure if Nomex is an approved PPE for protecting against an arc flash? Any taughts...
Nomex is one of the best FR materials for arc flash protection as it is adherantly FR and not just treated with a FR chemical that will eventually wash out over time.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Nomex is used mainly for fires and can not withstand molten metals unless used in multiple layers. I'm not sure if Nomex is an approved PPE for protecting against an arc flash? Any taughts...
Nomex is absolutely an acceptable material for use in Arc Rated PPE.

'Fire Resistant' does not mean 'Arc Rated' (a fireman's turnout coat would not be acceptable arc flash PPE), the important thing is the testing to ASTM F 1959.

Status
Not open for further replies.