Arc Fault mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arc Fault problem:
Infrastructure:
Master bedroom: Single circuit wired with 14/2 Romex that connects (6) 15A TR decora receptacles and (2) master bath light fixtures (1) wall sconce, (1) recessed light fixture. All devices are tied to one new QO 15A AFCI breaker. This is not a MWBC.

Refrigerator Circuit: Single outlet wired with a 12/2 Romex cable. Terminated on a 20A QO breaker. This is not part of a MWBC

Conditions:
1. Arc Fault trips (intermittently) with both bath lights energized, oddly there is not aproblem with either one on independently of the other
2. The same Arc Fault breaker is tripping when we were utilizing the kitchen's refrigerator outlet to connect a grinder (to cut some tile on the back splash area). When the grinder was engaged the Arc fault breaker for the bedroom tripped
a. The only physical connection between the two is where they both penetrate the top plate through the same bored hole prior to their entry into the load center.
b. They do not share the same entry KO into the load center.
c. Neutrals are separated as per design.
3. In a troubleshooting effort we ran a separate 14/2 cable from the load center to the originating outlet in the master bedroom (eliminating the HR cable in its entirety) then we began to go device to device in series from the HR outlet to the end device, trying to determine what and where the problem was. We plugged in a saw to present a load thereby verifying the circuits operation. Then we went down stream from the functioning outlet and disconnected all of the branch circuit wiring connected to the operational outlet, where the saw was working. We would then begin to connect the Hot to see if that had an impact (it did not) and then we connected the neutral wire (to the remaining downstream devices) and this is where the problem is being indicated. The odd problem, in this scenario, is that there are no current carrying conditions (to support an arc) when we make the neutral connection of the downstream outlets because there are no loads connected to them.
4. We ran short of time last evening to finish up all of the outlets in the bedroom, will return to today to once again be amazed at how the condition is intermittent and shares a problem with other conductors, from other circuits, that have no physical connection to the problem… Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Except for the removal of the Arc Fault breaker.

I have swapped the breaker out with a known working device and still have the same conditions.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've had the same problem with a tile cutter on the job. When the tiler squeezed the switch he was able to make the cut. Once he shut it off the AFCI tripped. There is a small arc in the switch and that is enough to cause the AFCI to trip. The only other thing I can think of is if the AFCI wiring is run close to the other AFCI circuit. If you have access to the wiring try pulling out one of the circuits and run it through another hole or just wire it directly to the AFCI breaker in basically a test mode. If it doesn't trip you solved your problem. If not, you'll have to search further.

Also, there is a you-tube video out there in cyberspace that shows multiple AFCI's tripping in one house when a ham radio operator in a neighboring house keys his mic. I can attest to this situation. I've had multiple AFCI as well as GFCI breakers trip when security guards key their walkie-talkie's in close proximity to these protected circuits.

Is the bathroom protected by a newer combo unit AFCI/GFCI? IDK, if QO has them.
What style of fixtures in the bath? Can you check the leakage current?

For the saw, run a cord to the neighbors house.
All connections in the bedroom are ok, i have pigtailed the neutrals in tbe 2G switch box and when isolate them the breaker holds, when i try to connect either of the fixture neutrals back to the feeder neutral the breaker trips with the tile saw load energized. Im going to run a piecs of cable to omit the existing one between the last good condition and the identified problem in the 2G box. Ill keep you posted...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I've had the same problem with a tile cutter on the job. When the tiler squeezed the switch he was able to make the cut. Once he shut it off the AFCI tripped. There is a small arc in the switch and that is enough to cause the AFCI to trip. The only other thing I can think of is if the AFCI wiring is run close to the other AFCI circuit. If you have access to the wiring try pulling out one of the circuits and run it through another hole or just wire it directly to the AFCI breaker in basically a test mode. If it doesn't trip you solved your problem. If not, you'll have to search further.

Also, there is a you-tube video out there in cyberspace that shows multiple AFCI's tripping in one house when a ham radio operator in a neighboring house keys his mic. I can attest to this situation. I've had multiple AFCI as well as GFCI breakers trip when security guards key their walkie-talkie's in close proximity to these protected circuits.

His description of the breaker for the refrigerator circuit suggests it is not AFCI.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
All connections in the bedroom are ok, i have pigtailed the neutrals in tbe 2G switch box and when isolate them the breaker holds, when i try to connect either of the fixture neutrals back to the feeder neutral the breaker trips with the tile saw load energized. Im going to run a piecs of cable to omit the existing one between the last good condition and the identified problem in the 2G box. Ill keep you posted...

Sounds like you have a neutral being shared. Doesn't matter if it's part of a MWBC or not, an illicit connection will mess with you mind.

We identified the switch leg cable to the RC as the problem, it was removed / replaced and the issue is resolved. Still can't figure out the refrigerator ckt xau5sing the nuisance tripping on the arc fault bedroom ckt????

gadfly56

Occupation
We identified the switch leg cable to the RC as the problem, it was removed / replaced and the issue is resolved. Still can't figure out the refrigerator ckt xau5sing the nuisance tripping on the arc fault bedroom ckt????

The refrigerator was on a switched outlet??

gadfly56

Occupation
No the refrigerator is on its own circuit it shares nothing in common with the arc fault breaker that was Trippin that's what makes it so strange.

OK, I'm really confused :?. What is the "switch leg cable to the RC" that you replaced?

No the refrigerator is on its own circuit it shares nothing in common with the arc fault breaker that was Trippin that's what makes it so strange.

If you refer to condition two in my original post you'll notice that the refrigerator circuit is stand alone and that the bedroom arc fault circuit was tripping when we applied power to a hand held grinder hat was connected through the refrigerator circuit's outlet ... That we thought was very strange.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and interest in my arc fault problem.

We removed the wiring from the switch to the recessed light fixture. We found an area where we may have driven a staple to hard and compromised the cable. the replacement cable solved the problem. The drywall patch was alot of fun too...LOL

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Thanks to everyone for your replies and interest in my arc fault problem.

We removed the wiring from the switch to the recessed light fixture. We found an area where we may have driven a staple to hard and compromised the cable. the replacement cable solved the problem. The drywall patch was alot of fun too...LOL

It pays to megger before putting up the sheet rock, trust me. Contrary to what people on this forum will say its actually a very quick procedure if you do all the 120 volt circuits at once.

peter d

It pays to megger before putting up the sheet rock, trust me. Contrary to what people on this forum will say its actually a very quick procedure if you do all the 120 volt circuits at once.

Meggering means extra time which includes splicing all device locations through to make a complete circuit for testing. It's simply not going to happen on a bid job.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Meggering means extra time which includes splicing all device locations through to make a complete circuit for testing. It's simply not going to happen on a bid job.

Who said all that is involved? Take your 20 circuits, strip your conductors and megger at once. :thumbsup:

peter d

Who said all that is involved? Take your 20 circuits, strip your conductors and megger at once. :thumbsup:

:huh:

Every circuit is interrupted at a receptacle box, switch box, etc where there is no device present on rough in. Those would all have to be spliced through in order to megger the complete circuit.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
:huh:

Every circuit is interrupted at a receptacle box, switch box, etc where there is no device present on rough in. Those would all have to be spliced through in order to megger the complete circuit.

Not if you splice what you can. (Neutrals, grounds, pigs tails). While not the complete picture, you have some idea before hand, and the home run gets the hot counted to. The next time is when everything is roughed in.

OK, I'm really confused :?. What is the "switch leg cable to the RC" that you replaced?
The 14/2 romex from the 2G switch location to the recessed can. The portion of the circuit that is only used to control the recessed light fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.