Arc fault nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many ham radio operators out there who operate with stealth antennas....in the attic, under the eves, etc. This in part is due to restrictive covenants or in some cases... apartment living.

I never knew the arc faults were tripping. :ashamed1:

peter d

Laws are similar here when it comes to agriculture - no permit or inspection required - agriculture is largest industry in this state is part of reason why, other is it has always been that way. Might be some changes sometime though, already getting some POCO's wanting an inspection or they won't connect anything over 250 volts to ground regardless of what kind of customer it is - that is a start toward safer installs on the farms.

I don't suppose your local poco's could use their own inspectors to make that determination?

kwired

Electron manager
I don't suppose your local poco's could use their own inspectors to make that determination?
Why should they? All other services are already inspected why should they want to do this for just certain ones that currently are by law exempt? Seems simple to me get an inspection or we won't connect you to our system. Their people are not trained in NEC either, and trust me I have seen some of the linemen's work in their own homes - some are worse then other DIY's because they do have some electrical knowledge, but is normally only applied at the medium and high voltage distribution level and usually stops at customer low voltage connection point at each service.

Sparkyva

What about a loose connection arcing when the treadmill is bouncing I had a job where led cans were tripping the arc fault ended up being loose neutrals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
What about a loose connection arcing when the treadmill is bouncing I had a job where led cans were tripping the arc fault ended up being loose neutrals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be a series arc and something the device is supposed to detect, but I can see people initially dismissing it as something caused by the LED's themselves.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Leak what?

I have come across a LED trim that had one of the wires leading from the driver to the LED board was pinched between heat sink and trim that tripped afci. Had me scratch my head though not knowing how the secondary side of driver would relate to line side for the afci to detect. I should go on to say it was the ground fault sensing of the afci that caught this, some members here will get a smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.