Arc-Fault Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I still cant figure out why kitchens etc are exempt from arc fault protection.
Makes no sense to me.

As it was alluded to earlier when the comment was made about it being industry driven...the industry is slowly trying to create the market for the breakers...so first it's the bedrooms...then add some more living space, but give us a break on the kitchens, bathrooms, etc...

But the non-conspiracy theory is, they are not required in areas where one is unlikely to sleep. You'll sleep in your bedrooms, you'll sleep in front of the TV in the living room or family room, but unless you drink too much you probably won't be sleeping in the bathroom. You certainly will have a hard time finding somebody sleeping in the kitchen. Doesn't explain the dining room other than the fact that some people use their dining room as another TV room.

dana1028

They're the reason it doesn't make sense.
emot105.gif

I luv that smiley face!

Ohmy

The makers of the breakers sit on the board and vote with the makers of the code. I think its a pretty clear conflict of interest. But, hey, arch fault breakers save lives. But, so would outlawing baseball bats and skateboards.

Hendrix

As it was alluded to earlier when the comment was made about it being industry driven...the industry is slowly trying to create the market for the breakers...so first it's the bedrooms...then add some more living space, but give us a break on the kitchens, bathrooms, etc...

But the non-conspiracy theory is, they are not required in areas where one is unlikely to sleep. You'll sleep in your bedrooms, you'll sleep in front of the TV in the living room or family room, but unless you drink too much you probably won't be sleeping in the bathroom. You certainly will have a hard time finding somebody sleeping in the kitchen. Doesn't explain the dining room other than the fact that some people use their dining room as another TV room.
I don't sleep well in hallways and closits :D

Status
Not open for further replies.