Are arc fault breakers a "solution" for houses with aluminum wiring?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Since AFCI breakers don't recognize glowing connections, I'm going to invent GFCI

May have to change the name slightly as we already have GFCI
= Glowing Fault Circuit Interrupter
GCCI
Glowing Connection Circuit Interrupter! :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Since AFCI breakers don't recognize glowing connections, I'm going to invent GFCI

May have to change the name slightly as we already have GFCI
= Glowing Fault Circuit Interrupter
GCCI
Glowing Connection Circuit Interrupter! :)
There was a proposed device that had a thermal element that when exposed to too much heat, created a ground fault using a resistor to limit the ground fault current to 30mA or so, and to be used along with a GFCI. When the poor connection caused too much heat, it shorted to ground causing the GFCI to trip. I think it was proposed as a code requirement 3 or 4 cycles ago.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
There was a proposed device that had a thermal element that when exposed to too much heat, created a ground fault using a resistor to limit the ground fault current to 30mA or so, and to be used along with a GFCI. When the poor connection caused too much heat, it shorted to ground causing the GFCI to trip. I think it was proposed as a code requirement 3 or 4 cycles ago.
Would that be inside of each box or each device or what was the details of the idea?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Yes, you would install one at each device and possibly at junction boxes too.
Good idea but man that's some serious money. Standard track house Gfpe breaker +2000 bucks + 3 bucks for each box so +400 for the house then once in the code price doubles because they don't make enough stock for them so more like 4800 bucks extra in stuff not to mention box fill.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Good idea but man that's some serious money. Standard track house Gfpe breaker +2000 bucks + 3 bucks for each box so +400 for the house then once in the code price doubles because they don't make enough stock for them so more like 4800 bucks extra in stuff not to mention box fill.
Standard GFCI breakers for each circuit and many circuits already require GFCI protection.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Plug on neutral siemens and the siemens tandem now don't have gfpe in them
Yep, Square D seems to be the only one to still included it. Eaton CH might but I have not checked recently.

The GFPE is the only reason I can accept AFCI breakers.

I have said this several times on the forum over the years. It would have been better for the NEC to require GFCI protection for all 15 and 20 amp dwelling branch circuits and forget the AFCI.