armoured cable cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
What's the best manufacturer of armour cable cutter?

Tried and true!

I usually just use a hacksaw.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would guess that Roto-Split is the best selling cable cutter.

$_57.JPG

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree, Roto-Split is probably the best. I just purchased an Ideal cable cutter and I'm having some trouble using it. I think it has to do with the cable size adjustment. It may not be tight enough. As soon as the blade starts cutting into the cable it causes the cable to jump forward and cut the armor in the wrong spot. I'll keep working at it - not ready to bring it back to the supply house yet.

iwire

Staff member
Another vote for Rotospilts but this model with the extra lever

rs-101a.jpg

It is better when working with multiple sizes of MC, you don't have to adjust the knob to change sizes. :)

iwire

Staff member
Couple of fun games with rotosplits.

Reverse the blade on a coworkers rotosplits and watch them to try to use it.

When a coworker steals one of your spare blades for his own rotosplits take it back but install the cardboard cut of the blade that comes in the blase storage space in its place.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Another vote for Rotospilts but this model with the extra lever

rs-101a.jpg

It is better when working with multiple sizes of MC, you don't have to adjust the knob to change sizes. :)

I agree don't use the one in the photo that I posted. ;)

hurk27

Couple of fun games with rotosplits.

Reverse the blade on a coworkers rotosplits and watch them to try to use it.

When a coworker steals one of your spare blades for his own rotosplits take it back but install the cardboard cut of the blade that comes in the blase storage space in its place.

We use to do that with co-workers hack-saws, then watch them keep trying to cut the pipe, also we use to send them to the boss for a push to cut blade and tell them the blade in the saw is a pull to cut blade, you should see the look on the boss's face when they ask:lol:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...but if it's just aluminum armor, I break it open and use my dikes.
BTW, BX Cutters work better than dikes...

4A862_AS01.JPG

If doing a fair amount of armored cable work, I'll keep these in my tool belt. At my age, the fewer the tools I have to carry in my tool belt, the less my back aches at the end of the day.

Last edited:

hurk27

I also like the handle one, I found a stand off screw that you can remove the handle and screw it in then using a 5/16th or 3/8" hex driver bit for the larger ones, put the hex bit in your drill it makes it easier when doing allot of cuts, the standoff screw is the type you use when mounting circuit boards to a cabinet back like they used in older computers,

I hate roto splitters unless im cutting through hard bx cable. Otherwise i use my dikes which is fast and easy especially if your making up a rat nest of a j-box full of MC cable... Roto splits eat up time like crazy and some eat into the sheathing of the wire too much and eat through to your conductors... not good.

kwired

Electron manager
I like the Greenlee cutter better. It was the one I used first.

Old habits are hard to break, or is it you never get a second chance to make a first impression?
The Greenlee model is the only one I have used, so I am used to it, but can't really compare to the roto split either. When I worked for another company we had an ideal stripper that wasn't a rotary type, that actually was faster then the rotary cutter, but I think it had less range of cables it worked with - but we pretty much only ran 12-2 and 12-3 and it worked great on both. It was more of a pliers type device - kind of hard to describe, maybe they still make it and I can find a link to one.

I hate roto splitters unless im cutting through hard bx cable. Otherwise i use my dikes which is fast and easy especially if your making up a rat nest of a j-box full of MC cable... Roto splits eat up time like crazy and some eat into the sheathing of the wire too much and eat through to your conductors... not good.
Can't speak for roto splitter but the greenlee has an adjusting screw to set the cutting depth, I can't recall ever never needing to adjust it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.