At what point would you become un-glued?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can make more money on unemployment than you can in a pine box.

There is NO WAY that any of my employees would work in such an un-safe working environment.

The liability alone is not worth the risk. Not to mention the potential of not having a good employee around to complete the job when it is in ready condition.

You obviously do not own your own business.

ICE is not just 'wet and uncomfortable'

LMAO!

How would you know, Mr. Business Man Ty?

I can guarandamntee that the OP is overstating the conditions. I spend my time between the Springs and where I live. The only "risk" or danger is being a bit wet and uncomfortable. His boss probably gave him the option of working or staying home, employed and making no money, so it was his choice.

So what?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
:mad:

Typical project manager/estimator, comes out of his warm office looks around and says doesn't look bad to me. If you bid this job you would crap with the loss of labor those conditions present.

I worked for a moron once that couldn't figure out why it was taking extra time to rope a house that had no heat, no insulation, the top 3 feet was open to the elements and it was 9 degrees outside with a wind chill of minus 20. The insulation on the 2/0 we were trying to feed the main with actually shattered like glass.

It was so cold that ice wasn't even slippery. If you set a bottle of water down it would be frozen solid in three hours. At least we were safe so long as we took precautions to prevent frostbite.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
LMAO!

How would you know, Mr. Business Man Ty?

I can guarandamntee that the OP is overstating the conditions. I spend my time between the Springs and where I live. The only "risk" or danger is being a bit wet and uncomfortable. His boss probably gave him the option of working or staying home, employed and making no money, so it was his choice.

So what?

I owned my own business for 15 years.

Did you not see my post?

Are you saying that the OP is lying and no one on the job got hurt?

I have been on every side of the fence there is and putting help at risk is just a shortcut in the race to the bottom.

I worked for a moron once that couldn't figure out why it was taking extra time to rope a house that had no heat, no insulation, the top 3 feet was open to the elements and it was 9 degrees outside with a wind chill of minus 20. The insulation on the 2/0 we were trying to feed the main with actually shattered like glass.

It was so cold that ice wasn't even slippery. If you set a bottle of water down it would be frozen solid in three hours. At least we were safe so long as we took precautions to prevent frostbite.

Right. I do not want to hear it. I am a PM and came up through all kinds of conditions including roping houses when it was so cold the sheath on the romex shattered.

laketime

Totally agree, anybody who does not realize the dramatic loss of production (not to mention potential for injury) when it is that cold and icing on a job has little to no credibility to me. As an owner I listen to my men and if it isn't safe or productive then why are we there. I would go to the super discuss the safety issues with pictures and present them to his insurance carrier if I didn't get results. I have done it before and it works. Safety first before anything.

laketime

nevermind, my apologies for getting fired up, see to many men hurt because of the "get 'er done" attitude

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Right. I do not want to hear it. I am a PM and came up through all kinds of conditions including roping houses when it was so cold the sheath on the romex shattered.

What's a PM?

I wasn't talking the sheath on the NM. I was talking about the insulation on the 2/0 THHN which I clearly stated.

Please, read stuff before you reply.

Not only is split insulation a pain, it is DANGEROUS!

I have worked in the worst conditions you can imagine. I have been in steel mills where people get killed on a nearly monthly basis. I have been 85 feet in the air in near blizzard conditions, soaking wet and freezing. I have worked in foundries where 1 in 7 workers had been burnt or maimed and still were on the job. We have to put up with mother nature, but we do NOT have to put our workers, especially our apprentices in danger if that danger can be mitigated, and the lion's share of said danger is capable of being mitigated.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Melt?

How does it melt if it's cold?

In Michigan, we have to put up with months of such weather every year.

We don't have to put our help in danger. There is a way to make walkways safe. Even on a roof.

EDIT:

My post didn't include the quote so it will probably only make sense to the one that got their post deleted.

Not mentioning any names, of course....

Last edited:
What's a PM?

I wasn't talking the sheath on the NM. I was talking about the insulation on the 2/0 THHN which I clearly stated.

Please, read stuff before you reply.

Not only is split insulation a pain, it is DANGEROUS!

I have worked in the worst conditions you can imagine. I have been in steel mills where people get killed on a nearly monthly basis. I have been 85 feet in the air in near blizzard conditions, soaking wet and freezing. I have worked in foundries where 1 in 7 workers had been burnt or maimed and still were on the job. We have to put up with mother nature, but we do NOT have to put our workers, especially our apprentices in danger if that danger can be mitigated, and the lion's share of said danger is capable of being mitigated.

A PM is a project manager. Yes, I was a welder once so know how it is. A structure, school I was welding on was struck by lightning with me on it.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
A PM is a project manager. Yes, I was a welder once so know how it is. A structure, school I was welding on was struck by lightning with me on it.

So, grind the bird poop off with an old metal cased slag grinder with the ground pin cut off (no GFCI for real men, remember) and carry on.

Do it soaking wet and you will be my hero for the day.

Last edited:
So, grind the bird poop off with an old metal cased slag grinder with the ground pin cut off (no GFCI for real men, remember) and carry on.

Do it soaking wet and you will be my hero for the day.

The irony can not be missed............. Actually you are my hero K8MHZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.