automatic generator transfer switch wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical technician
So according to your picture you are saying they completely removed the service from the 200amp panel?

There is nothing at all feeding the 200amp panel but the 100 amp breaker?

protec

Occupation
E-1 contractor
For one if I did a load calculation I guarantee that 200 amp main breaker panel they converted into a 100 amp sub panel now is way overloaded.
I doubt there is even an article telling you that its code to use your sub panel to feed with 100 amp breaker as your main panel to wire and feed your 200 amp main panel.
Unheard of.
35 YEARS in business and never seen anything come close to this total hack job.
Would you be ok with that in your house

protec

Occupation
E-1 contractor
So according to your picture you are saying they completely removed the service from the 200amp panel?
They wired the sub panel off meter socket first and refed in subpanel with 100 amp breaker with #3 copper the main 200 amp house panel

Occupation
Electrical technician
They wired the sub panel off meter socket first and refed in subpanel with 100 amp breaker with #3 copper the main 200 amp house panel
Well if thats the case, I would agree with you. None of which was made clear until the drawing.

So Your picture shows main service line goes from meter into transfer switch and than feeds 100amp sub panel?

So the main service line nor the transfer switch sends anything to 200amp main panel?

Do you have actual pictures of the panels?

protec

Occupation
E-1 contractor
Well if thats the case, I would agree with you. None of which was made clear until the drawing.

So Your picture shows main service line goes from meter into transfer switch and than feeds 100amp sub panel?

So the main service line nor the transfer switch sends anything to 200amp main panel?

Do you have actual pictures of the panels?
Your correct.
The 200 amp main panel is now being fed off the sub panel with 100 amp breaker.
The transfer switch feeds the MLO sub panel first.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In as much as there is a meter/main combo both of the panels are sub panels

farmantenna

what we're all missing from protec's screaming is that what used to be the Main 200MB panel with all the heavy loads is now just another 100 amp subpanel. you see some crazy stuff

protec

Occupation
E-1 contractor
what we're all missing from protec's screaming is that what used to be the Main 200MB panel with all the heavy loads is now just another 100 amp subpanel. you see some crazy stuff
If thats not a code violation then nothing is

Occupation
Electrical technician
Your correct.
The 200 amp main panel is now being fed off the sub panel with 100 amp breaker.
The transfer switch feeds the MLO sub panel first.

I have to say I wasn't getting what He was saying til his picture and still trying to comprehend if drawing is accurate to what's there. I have no reason not to believe him tho.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is a code forum and if you claim there is a violation you need to state what you think it is. What I see is equipment and conductors properly protected, if some loads need to be distributed differently it can be addressed

protec

Occupation
E-1 contractor
So tell us what you think it is?
For starters you can not use a 100 amp breaker with out a main lug breaker kit if thats your main panel now.
Also how is code to take that 100 amp breaker and feed with #3 copper the line side of a 200 amp breaker.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So provide a retainer for the breaker, you never mentioned that before. The 100 amp breaker is not the main breaker, the main is at the meter.
You can feed a 1000 amp breaker with a smaller breaker legally.

Occupation
Electrical technician
For starters you can not use a 100 amp breaker with out a main lug breaker kit if thats your main panel now.
Also how is code to take that 100 amp breaker and feed with #3 copper the line side of a 200 amp breaker.
Well I can tell you a 200 amp panel being fed by a 100amp breaker is not a violation. You have just effectively made the 200 amp panel a 100 amp panel and the 200amp breaker becomes nothing more than a disconnect.

protec

Occupation
E-1 contractor
So provide a retainer for the breaker, you never mentioned that before. The 100 amp breaker is not the main breaker, the main is at the meter.
You can feed a 1000 amp breaker with a smaller breaker legally.
Can you recite the code and article you can do that.
Have to say never done it or seen it in 35 years
So lets just say your had a 100 amp meter main breaker socket...
you fed out of load side of the breaker with #3 copper to a 200 amp main breaker panel...
You can do that?

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have asked you repeatedly to cite code for your claims and you have not done so and when you do I will be happy to respond in turn, in the mean time I will be tell you to see 171FIREFIGHTERS reply

Occupation
Electrical technician
Ugh
You know how many 100amp subpanels to an outbuilding are only fed by a 60amp breaker lol, it's actually not uncommon.

The subpanel cant exceed 60 amps becuase thats what the feed is protected by in the main.

protec

Occupation
E-1 contractor
Ugh

You know how many 100amp subpanels to an outbuilding are only fed by a 60amp breaker lol, it's actually not uncommon.

The subpanel cant exceed 60 amps becuase thats what the feed is protected by in the main.
100 amp sub panel is MLO or has a 100 amp breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.