automatic generator transfer switch wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

protec

Occupation
E-1 contractor
When would you take a 100 amp breaker and feed it to a 200 amp breaker with #3 copper.
Thats like having a 100 amp main breaker service and feeding it to a 200 amp main breaker panel.
That what is actually being done here.
The trip rating in that 200 amp breaker feeding panel is before the #3 copper and 100 amp breaker supplying power to it.
Don't seem right to me.
You can do that?
Someone please get me that article in the code.

Last edited:
Occupation
Electrical technician
100 amp sub panel is MLO or has a 100 amp
When would you take a 100 amp breaker and feed it to a 200 amp breaker with #3 copper.
Thats like having a 100 amp main breaker service and feeding it to a 200 amp main breaker panel.
That what is actually whats being done here.
You can do that?
Yes, Yes you can lol Again the 200 breaker becomes nothing but a disconnect, Effectively making the 200amp breaker nothing more than a disconnect switch as the panel would be protected by the 100amp ocpd

Occupation
Electrical technician
Nobody is saying this was the best choice or best design but what We are saying is it is not violation of the NEC.

The 200amp panel being fed by a 100amp breaker is not a code violation

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Someone please get me that article in the code.
You're new here and obviously not aware of the way the NEC and inspections work (or should work). It is the inspectors job to cite a violation, the installer doesn't carry the burden of justifying his work. You claim there is a violation, please tell us the article and sections you think are in question

Occupation
Electrical technician
You're new here and obviously not aware of the way the NEC and inspections work (or should work). It is the inspectors job to cite a violation, the installer doesn't carry the burden of justifying his work. You claim there is a violation, please tell us the article and sections you think are in question
To the point of banging my head off a wall here lol

protec

Occupation
E-1 contractor
Nobody is saying this was the best choice or best design but what We are saying is it is not violation of the NEC.

The 200amp panel being fed by a 100amp breaker is not a code violation
You have article number that you can do that?
If you fed with a 100 amp breaker a 200 amp non breaker or fused means of disconnect like a knife switch that makes sense.
Now if it is a fused or breaker rating of 200 amp before the 100 amp breaker how will that 100 amp breaker trip first in a dead short or overload?
Just asking

Occupation
Electrical technician
You have article number that you can do that?
If you fed with a 100 amp breaker a 200 amp non breaker or fused means of disconnect like a knife switch that makes sense.
Now if it is a fused or breaker rating of 200 amp before the 100 amp breaker how will that 100 amp breaker trip first in a dead short or overload?
Just asking
Where did I say you could feed a 100amp panel with a 200amp breaker?

Thats not what we have, We have a 100amp breaker feeding a 200 amp panel which is not a code violation.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The NEC does not tell us what We can't do. It tells us what we can't do or what We MUST do
And with that said the OP is not taking anyones answers and basically wasting the responders time. He has been asked to quote a code article and section but refuses to do so. It has been explained that the NEC is a permissive code. It appears as though he simply wanted backers so we will close this thread an move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.