backup generator neutral ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highkvoltage

Re: backup generator neutral ?

Ed. Are you saying you can not get electrocuted at this connection? I would agree that the possibility is very low. I understand that unbalanced load is trying to get back to the source. But it can choose the easist path and the grounding system at the pole to the generator may be that path. You would still have the concern of lighting or other voltages hitting the utility neutral as in a primary line falling on it. I stick to my guns that it is safier to use a 3 blade disconnect for single phase and a 4 blade for a 3 phase system.

dereckbc

Staff member

highkvoltage, since Benny no longer hangs here I am going to stir the pot. It makes no difference if a generator is configured SDS or not. the neutrals are always bonded to together in either system. Non SDS is bonded via the hardwired neutral, and SDS via GEC and GES if built to code.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Hello Dereck: You have stated the technical facts of what is now known as a separately derived system. My old favorite subject.

So it is now a consensus that a generator or transformer that is electrically connected to the utility supply is a separately derived system, and a generator and a transformer that is not connected to the utility supply is a separately derived system.

I am training my pigs to fly, when they get off on their own power, I'll believe the above.

bennie

Esteemed Member

I have traced the evolution of a separately derived system back to the 1930's when the term was "Systems without external connections" Section 2526.

This term applied to farm houses that had lighting plants and were not connected to the utility power grid.

The premises wiring system was usually not grounded. The code section was adopted to make notice that should the wiring require grounding then it should be grounded in the manner spelled out in the section.

A separately derived system is a premises wiring system, not the power source, as many have been led to believe.

For a generator or transformer to be a source for a separately derived system, the source will have to be connected ahead of the premises ground system and electrically be disconnected from the utility ground system.

Ed MacLaren

Hi Bennie, great to see you back. Hope you are well.

I think I'll bow out of this thread, though. I don't want to be like this guy. :D

Ed

dead%20horse3.jpg

[ February 27, 2004, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

bennie

Esteemed Member

Hello Ed: I agree with you, I don't want to get into this subject either. I have been accused of giving out information that is not substantiated by facts. I will not state any thing without quoting the source or will indicate it is my personal perception.

There is some areas of the code, that have lost their original intent, through the lapse of time and numerous individual opinions. These areas should be examined for clarity and understanding.

highkvoltage

I have very much enjoyed this discussion. I have learned some view points I never condidered. Thank you all for your valued input. Ed I enjoy all of your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.