bad splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

While back I found a bad POCO (phase) splice at my house with an IR thermometer... Never got around to posting pics of it once I cut it in half.

Cleaning the garage, and X-mas I got a new camera - so....

As you can see the compression was never all that gas tight, and the connector was white rot on both the CU and AL side especially.

TOOL_5150

Every time Ive seen a lineman make a crimp, he pulled on both conductors to make sure its a good crimp from the get go. This one looks like it never was a good crimp.

~Matt

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Every time Ive seen a lineman make a crimp, he pulled on both conductors to make sure its a good crimp from the get go. This one looks like it never was a good crimp.

~Matt
Matt,
You can have a crimp that won't pull apart by hand and still not be a good crimp. The use of a controlled crimp device (one where you have to completely close the handles once you start the crimp) should always provide a good crimp assuming the tool is correctly adjusted, the correct splice sleeve was used, and the correct dies were used. I do agree that this crimp does not look like it was made correctly

e57

Did the aluminum fall out when you cut it, or was it just that bad of a crimp?

~Matt
The AL side was moving around before I cut it.... It got pretty hot I assume - the testing that revealed it was only under moderate loads... 128F on the plastic on the outside of the crimp...

This thing has been laying around my garage for over a year... This thread is when it was found.... I cut it open a while back and just got around to taking pics of it. The copper was spliced well at some point, as you can see the impression of the wire on the inside of the crimp, which then deteriated, and allowed a heavy patina to form - but still conductive. The AL side though - was never good, and it shows....

Status
Not open for further replies.