Ball Field Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A supplier advised the contractor that disconnects & ballasts for the lighting poles he is installing must be 10ft above ground. I am unaware of any such Code . Have I overlooked a requirement ?
(Flood plane is not an issue)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Article 600.6 may be the answer but 10' is not the answer. This 2014 nec

(A) Location.(1) At Point of Entry to a Sign Enclosure. The disconnect
shall be located at the point the feeder circuit or branch
circuit(s) supplying a sign or outline lighting system enters
a sign enclosure or a pole in accordance with 600.5(C)(3)
and shall disconnect all wiring where it enters the enclosure
of the sign or pole.
Exception: A disconnect shall not be required for branch
or feeder circuits passing through the sign where enclosed
in a Chapter 3 listed raceway.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here are 2 graphics from mike holt

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

mgookin

A supplier advised the contractor that disconnects & ballasts for the lighting poles he is installing must be 10ft above ground. I am unaware of any such Code . Have I overlooked a requirement ?

The only thing that comes to mind is if you had aerial conductors then the conductors would have to maintain clearance, but not discos, etc.

EC may want to have a follow up with the supplier.

david

are the ballast separate from the light fixture? Did the supplier indicate it was a code reason?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
But if the pole is supplied with a feeder and the disconnect(s) is also a branch circuit overcurrent device....
Bob is not talking about the feeder. The question was for a disconnect for the light. Obviously if you set a panel with a feeder there would be a disconnect but one is not required for the light

kwired

Electron manager
Bob is not talking about the feeder. The question was for a disconnect for the light. Obviously if you set a panel with a feeder there would be a disconnect but one is not required for the light
Correct, but tried to bring up something that could possibly be overlooked, so we now need to clarify if disconnect in question in OP is simply a disconnect or if it serves other purposes.

Seems to be common around here on ball fields to have more lights on the pole then one can handle with a 50 amp circuit and lighting branch circuits are limited to 50 amps, so there is usually a breaker panel at the base of pole with multiple circuits feeding to the lights.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
OP will not know details until inspection.
Question was posed by contractor after supplier made the statement.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If the disconnect is 10' off the ground then is it compliant for 110.26 but I do see the value of having it up high or near the light- if one is installed

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
disconnect at point of entry

disconnect at point of entry

I don't understand the two illustrations. The first states the disconnect must be at the sign or pole. The second says if not with in sight it must have lock?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I don't understand the two illustrations. The first states the disconnect must be at the sign or pole. The second says if not with in sight it must have lock?

The two illustrations represent (1) and (2) of the same section. You can meet any one of the conditions and be OK.
To meet (1) you have to do as shown in first illustration.
To meet (2) you have to do as shown in the second illustration.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the disconnect is 10' off the ground then is it compliant for 110.26 but I do see the value of having it up high or near the light- if one is installed
Probably just to limit public access to the switch.

I was at a high school football game a number of years ago where the disconnects were accessible to the public and someone turned off one of the two feeder disconnects killing 1/2 of the lights while a game was in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.