Basic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsbrush

I have a job coming up and my helper will be off that day, There is no way to reschedule. I need some suggestions please.

The job is in a residence. I need to install some can lights and a switch. The ceiling's are around 10'. On the wall that I need to cut in a switch, I was wondering if there were any tricks that you would use when you are in the attic to know exactly where to drill the hole down to go into the wall?

Most of the time I would drill a small hole where the wall and ceiling meet the poke a wire up. Then I would find the wire and move over and drill the hole.

The home is new and the home owner is very watchful.
Any suggestions?

electricalperson

i usually look for any nearby sinks or toilets or electrical devices and use that as a general reference to look for the wall. if i cant see the top plate then i would send a 1/8th 12 inch drill bit up in the corner next to a wall. when i do this i usually try to do it in a spot that cant be seen such as the reverse side thats in a closet or other not so important room. i keep a can of spackle in the truck to patch the little hole if it will be seen.

480sparky

If it's a plain, white ceiling, take the long bottom of a wire coat hanger and cut it out. You will have a long peice of wire, in essence. Cut one end at a 45? andgle, and chuck the other up in your drill. Drill about 2" from the wall up through the ceiling (to make sure you clear any corner nailers). Pull the drill off, and leave the hanger in the ceiling.

Once up in the attic, just look for the sharp wire sticking up!

Patch with a smidge of spackle or joint compound.

ItsHot

Don't worry about the homeowner!:grin: This type of job is time consuming!! I usually look for reference points in attic such as exsisting work, ie. switch drop, receptacle, intersecting walls and measure from there. As long as you are drilling in a top plate of a wall you will be alright!!

jmsbrush

480sparky said:
If it's a plain, white ceiling, take the long bottom of a wire coat hanger and cut it out. You will have a long peice of wire, in essence. Cut one end at a 45? andgle, and chuck the other up in your drill. Drill about 2" from the wall up through the ceiling (to make sure you clear any corner nailers). Pull the drill off, and leave the hanger in the ceiling.

Once up in the attic, just look for the sharp wire sticking up!

Patch with a smidge of spackle or joint compound.
That works pretty good? The only issue i might have is. The attic is in a sea of white insulation.

electricalperson

another good trick to please the customer is if you need to make notches in the sheetrock to run the romex do it in a closet so it wont be seen. im sure everyone knows this but its one of the first tricks i teach a new helper when we do this kind of work. oh yea and i wear rubber gloves to protect walls from finger prints and things like that plus your hands wont get as dirty

electricalperson

jmsbrush said:
That works pretty good? The only issue i might have is. The attic is in a sea of white insulation.
make the hole big enough to fit a snake in and shove like 10 feet up into the attic to make it easier to see in piled high insulation. the hole isnt much bigger than a coathanger hole

Occupation
Inspector
How about...

How about...

jmsbrush said:
...I need to install some can lights and a switch. The ceiling's are around 10'. On the wall that I need to cut in a switch, I was wondering if there were any tricks that you would use when you are in the attic to know exactly where to drill the hole down to go into the wall?...Any suggestions?

Just one suggestion, Cut in the cans, use your can lights as your reference point.

jmsbrush

electricalperson said:
another good trick to please the customer is if you need to make notches in the sheetrock to run the romex do it in a closet so it wont be seen. im sure everyone knows this but its one of the first tricks i teach a new helper when we do this kind of work. oh yea and i wear rubber gloves to protect walls from finger prints and things like that plus your hands wont get as dirty
I think it is good when we take extra care of peoples homes! I'm thinking about buying those blue slippers to protect the customers floor.

electricalperson

jmsbrush said:
I think it is good when we take extra care of peoples homes! I'm thinking about buying those blue slippers to protect the customers floor.
i think you can buy rack a tiers kits at the supply house that come with a couple pairs of blue booties and gloves. but it might be cheaper to hit up cvs and buy a box of booties and rubber gloves and get 100 pairs for 15 bucks or so

480sparky

ultramegabob said:
use a flexi-bit and drill up through the cut in box hole.

http://www.agtprint.com/s16/01/htmfiles/fb.html

Hopefully, you won't tear into the wiring that's already in the wall. :)

drill.jpg

electricalperson

ultramegabob said:
use a flexi-bit and drill up through the cut in box hole.

http://www.agtprint.com/s16/01/htmfiles/fb.html
have you had good luck with these? im afraid to use them now because when i was just beginning in the trade a licensed guy drilled through the side of someones fiberglass tub. and other guys drill through the other side of walls with them. i dont know if he used the guide tool or not

Occupation
Inspector
electricalperson said:
have you had good luck with these? im afraid to use them now because when i was just beginning in the trade a licensed guy drilled through the side of someones fiberglass tub. and other guys drill through the other side of walls with them. i dont know if he used the guide tool or not

I won't use mine unless I have my SeeSnake to verify the bits location.

Status
Not open for further replies.