Basic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

I have had good luck with them, you have to use a guide handle and learn how to center the bit in the plate as much as possible. another trick I like to do with them once you have the drillbit in the attic or crawlspace is to take a piece of #14 bare copper and run it through the little hole that is in the center of the drillbit and make a small loop that I snap a fishing swivel onto which i attach my wire to. this enables me to run the drill backwards and pull the wire back out through the hole at the same time using the flexi-bit as a fishtape, the swivel allows the flexi-bit to spin without twisting the wire.

480sparky

jmsbrush said:
Hey 1793, how do you like the sea snake?? I'm thinking about purchasing it.
Can you please give a few suggestions on what you have used it on and how it might have saved you?

I used it the first time to find the wires that were to go to a fireplace than the installer just slammed in. All I had to see through is the hole in the side for the gas line. Out came the SeeSnake, and 15 minutes later I was on my way home.

Paid for itself the first time. And has continue to pay for itself at least once a week.

electricalperson

jmsbrush said:
Can you please give a few suggestions on what you have used it on and how it might have saved you?
you can use it for just about anything from seeing locations of snakes inside of walls your having tough times with or using it to hook a chain or string dropped down a wall using the hook it comes with

Occupation
Inspector
jmsbrush said:

I don't have time tonight, I will post for you tomorrow, I hope that will not be too late.

jmsbrush

480sparky said:
I used it the first time to find the wires that were to go to a fireplace than the installer just slammed in. All I had to see through is the hole in the side for the gas line. Out came the SeeSnake, and 15 minutes later I was on my way home.

Paid for itself the first time. And has continue to pay for itself at least once a week.
How big of a hole do you have to drill for the snake to enter?

480sparky

jmsbrush said:
Sparky thats a big hole! I'm trying to think where it would come in handy

Would you rather punch a hole big enough for a flashlight and mirror?

Try here. I've used it to find buried boxes, find fire stops, raceways for NM (after pulling can lights down), I can't list all the times & ways I've used it. I even found a buried gas shut-off in a finished basement for the plumber.... he was impressed and bought one the next day.

jmsbrush said:
OK cool, I would appreciate it, I'm deciding. Do I want a laser plumb-bob or a sea snake:D

Christmas is only 93 days away....put 'em both on your wish list.

Last edited:

jmsbrush

480sparky said:
Would you rather punch a hole big enough for a flashlight and mirror?

Try here. I've used it to find buried boxes, find fire stops, raceways for NM (after pulling can lights down), I can't list all the times & ways I've used it. I even found a buried gas shut-off in a finished basement for the plumber.... he was impressed and bought one the next day.

Christmas is only 93 days away....put 'em both on your wish list.
lol, I will have to give the money to my ole lady then she can buy them for me:cool:

g@friendly

OK ready you have access from above so it should not be to bad. Goto http://www.lsdinc.com/content/product_details/52 checkout the metal tip push rods. I have been using these for years. Now to try to make this easy with out righting a book,
Shine a bright light into the switch box and go in the attic and look at the top plate you will be able to see the light clear as day ware the sheet rock and the top plate meets. drill a 3/4 hole and push the push rod down the wall right into the back Ko of the box. I use to do this by myself a lot. I taught this to our apprentice a few weeks ago and he has less than 4 month in the field and last week he snaked into a switch box twice by himself. No help from the mechanic. When I asked why he didn't get help from my mechanic he said, "I went up set everything up and I look and there it was so I drilled, sent down, tied on, went down, & pulled the push rod right in and I was done'' it took him 30 minutes total 2 tails snaked down but 9' ceiling.
That brings me to part 2 you might have a problem. On 10' walls they put cats in the bays if that is the case, same steps as above, but you need a 5' drill bit to drill straight down through the cat so use a 7/8 spade to go through the top plate then switch to the 3/4''x5' to go through the plate.
Part 3 grab a hacksaw blade and cut the nails in the single gang box and carefully drop the box into the wall snake wire down the wall and grab it. then use one of the Arlington screw in boxes and done Good luck if you need more help send me a email and I will call you.

bjp_ne_elec

g@friendly - don't quite get your Pat 3. Why are you cutting the nails off a nail-on box, and then you mention using an Arlington box with screws? What am I missing, as far as what you're using the box you've cut the nails off of? Also, why not just pull the nails out, instead of cutting them off.

JohnJ0906

bjp_ne_elec said:
g@friendly - don't quite get your Pat 3. Why are you cutting the nails off a nail-on box, and then you mention using an Arlington box with screws? What am I missing, as far as what you're using the box you've cut the nails off of? Also, why not just pull the nails out, instead of cutting them off.

If you are trying to avoid damaging the walls, and are not enlarging the opening, I find it easier to use a hacksaw blade to cut the nails.

If I am making a single gang into a 2 gang, I will cut the hole, then just pry the old box off.

I don't think it is legal to just screw through the sides of the old nailon box, hence the screw-in box.

iaov

480sparky said:
If it's a plain, white ceiling, take the long bottom of a wire coat hanger and cut it out. You will have a long peice of wire, in essence. Cut one end at a 45? andgle, and chuck the other up in your drill. Drill about 2" from the wall up through the ceiling (to make sure you clear any corner nailers). Pull the drill off, and leave the hanger in the ceiling.

Once up in the attic, just look for the sharp wire sticking up!

Patch with a smidge of spackle or joint compound.
The coat hanger trick is one of my favorites. It works great!

ultramegabob

bjp_ne_elec said:

I believe he is talking about cutting the nails in the existing box in the wall, cutting the nails allows you to remove the box through the hole without prying the box off the stud that will most likely damage the drywall.

g@friendly

Correct guys the reason I am removing the box, because I will not be able to snake into the box cause of the cat in the wall. So I have to reach in and grap it. Also JohnJ0906 is correct.

Occupation
Inspector
SeeSnake...

SeeSnake...

I have used mine for a wide variety of applications, too many to mention them all.

Like I posted earlier, I look into the wall to see where my Flex Bit is resting on the plate in the wall. I have used the SeeSnake to find the chain I had dropped and the hook on the SeeSnake to catch that "Fish". I have used it to look into ceilings through recess lights to find a pathway or look to see if I can even "fish" a cable in the first place.

I hope this has helped and I hope all goes well with your "job".

I work alone 99.9% of the time so I feel your pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.