Bath Exhaust Fan responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcom

I like to use panasonic 80 cfm if they want a cheapo. I would personally have a hard time installing a fan in someones home and than telling them they need a Hvac contractor to vent it.

I may depend on where the vent is, if it's in the roof and you have insurance that covers roof openings they by all means do it. Just remember i am the crazy negative guy that thinks water damage can be a serious thing.

electricguy

I may depend on where the vent is, if it's in the roof and you have insurance that covers roof openings they by all means do it. Just remember i am the crazy negative guy that thinks water damage can be a serious thing.
I once had a roofer friend and i had asked him if he could install the roof flange for a mast though the roof.
After watching him remove a couple shingles,, lifting some others ,cutting the shingles to fit around the flange, I went wow this guy knows his job he didnt have to use any sealer he just knew how to install the roof flange. If i went to lift any shingles i probably would of tore them and would end up having to use some kind of roof sealer .

Brady Electric

Bath Exhaust Fan Responsibility

Bath Exhaust Fan Responsibility

If its a new house the HVAC vents it
If its old work I vent it. How could you possibility call someone else in to vent out something like that if your the only one needed on the job?
Different strokes for different folks
Semper Fi Buddy

mdshunk

Water damage is a serious thing. That's why it's important to do the job right. Doing the job right does not necessarily mean hiring a roofer. It means installing it in accordance with manufacturer's instructions, using accepted trade practices, and being properly insured.

satcom

Water damage is a serious thing. That's why it's important to do the job right. Doing the job right does not necessarily mean hiring a roofer. It means installing it in accordance with manufacturer's instructions, using accepted trade practices, and being properly insured.

Exactly, not just a do it job, but a job well done.

Rawls007

Where I'm from the HVAC guys refuse to make the electrical terminations on their own equipment so I refuse to vent out the bath fans and the dryers. However, I do mount them and hookup up the electrical. I always inform the GC's about this beforehand so there's no hang ups later.

Brady Electric

Bath Exhaust Fan responsibility

How often does it happen where someone suddenly decides "I need a fan where there never was one before?"

Happens all the time in old work.
I'm installing 6 recess lights, and 5 double outlets in an old house now and they also want a bath fan installed. Doing that I have to vent and do the whole install.
I do allot of work like that.
Semper Fi Buddy

roger3829

You guys also repair the ceilings damaged when running the ductwork?

If there is an attic, it shouldn't be a problem.

If there is a room above, maybe fish the duct across the ceiling.

If the ceiling can't be fished, then there is no patching required by me because the carpenter is going to do it.

Never had any problems.

JohnE

I'm easy. If the builder wants me to vent them, I do. If he wants someone else to, great. I do the venting on 99% of the houses I do. But half the time, the siders have installed the termination caps and I just supply and install the duct.

growler

I also have a no-duct clause.

I think most ECs have a no duct clause. If you bid a job and don't have a no vent/duct clause then you are just throwing this in for free.

If it's a small job and there is no HVAC contractor on the job I will vent the fan but I do want to be paid for the extra time.

Call a roofing contractor and see what the is charge for a roof penatration and this will give an idea of what to charge extra. There is no way an electrician should work cheaper than a roofer doing the same job.

satcom

I think most ECs have a no duct clause. If you bid a job and don't have a no vent/duct clause then you are just throwing this in for free.

If it's a small job and there is no HVAC contractor on the job I will vent the fan but I do want to be paid for the extra time.

Call a roofing contractor and see what the is charge for a roof penatration and this will give an idea of what to charge extra. There is no way an electrician should work cheaper than a roofer doing the same job.

Good points!

satcom

Personally, I think vent fans are EVIL and should be destroyed! :D

Avoid them at all costs... ;)

Greg, when HVAC or other trades do a vent job, they charge plenty, and they will charge extra for any patching on old work jobs, plus extra for roof cuts, many electricians bid for a vent fan, and end up throwing in all the other work for free, If you are going to do exhaust fans charge a decent price to make a profit and have the proper insurances in place, should the job come back to haunt you.

Status
Not open for further replies.