Bath Exhaust Fan responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

You know this... how? You psychic?

I have been called a psycho or psychopath, does that count? :-?

I do read contracts written by others whenever possible. That's how I learned of all the exclusions on a well written contract. What you will not do can be as important as what you will do. This seperates it from gray areas to being very clear.

mdshunk

I have been called a psycho or psychopath, does that count? :-?

I do read contracts written by others whenever possible. That's how I learned of all the exclusions on a well written contract. What you will not do can be as important as what you will do. This seperates it from gray areas to being very clear.
What concerned me more was your blanket statement that those who are doing the vents are doing so for free. That is flatly untrue in at least one case.

growler

What concerned me more was your blanket statement that those who are doing the vents are doing so for free. That is flatly untrue in at least one case.

Ok, I see what you are saying.

My point is that unless you have it in an exclusion clause many GCs will try in cover this under the vent fan install. They will try everything to keep from paying an extra.

Why do you think everyone keep saying that no one want to do the vent, if there was any money to be made everyone would be all over it.

If you have it excluded then you have a perfect right to ask for and get extra money. I state clearly " electrical install only, vented by others". That all that's covered on a bid job. You get to the low number by trimming the fat.

Last edited:

mdshunk

If you have it excluded then you have a perfect right to ask for and get extra money. I state clearly " electrical install only, vented by others". That all that's covered on a bid job. You get to the low number by trimming the fat.
Fine, but I have that extra price in my bid anyhow, whether they realize it or not. I already have that scoped out. If someone else happens to do it, I just got a bonus.

robwire

I do not vent them out on new construction,besides unless you have a home improvement contractor license ontop of you EC license your really not supposed to vent them out in NJ that is considered beyond the scope of electrical work.
With all this arguing about roof penatrations and water damage,they make an under eave soffit vent with a bridecage on it for venting out to the soffitt wich I have used,they work fine and there is no need to go up thru the roof.
They sell them at orange and blue for about eleven bucks.

quogueelectric

When I first started looking at estimating sheets I wondered why bath fans were so expensive. I understand now not rocket science but you can really mess up someones siding or roof if you dont know what you are doing. Some of the higher end fans have 6" duct.

growler

Fine, but I have that extra price in my bid anyhow, whether they realize it or not.

You have my interest now. How do you hide the extra cost? Many GCs are looking for the low number. I have excluded the fan venting, the microwave install ( if it plugs in it's not my problem ), HVAC from disconnect and anything except electrical to get to the low number.

If you are bidding against other companies they will try to exclude as much as they can to get the price down there.

bradleyelectric

My point is that unless you have it in an exclusion clause many GCs will try in cover this under the vent fan install. They will try everything to keep from paying an extra.

I had a GC try to tell me I had to supply the instant hots in a carmax buildout once. I informed him he would need to talk to Mechanical. I had never supplied Mechanical equipment for Commercial jobs and wasn't going to start then. My scope always lists instant hot "connections" or whatever type equipment it is on the schedule that I intend to connect but not supply. Small residential jobs I usually do supply fans. If there is no HVAC on the job I duct them to the area of penetration, but penetration is by others.

satcom

When I first started looking at estimating sheets I wondered why bath fans were so expensive. I understand now not rocket science but you can really mess up someones siding or roof if you dont know what you are doing. Some of the higher end fans have 6" duct.

Some insurance underwriters exclude roof cuts from ther coverages, and I bet a lot of guys have no idea the liability they take on when they do anything that can cause water entry, a CE course we took on insurance coverages, one of the presenters said water damage is something that never goes away, once the mold comes the party is over, may not be rocket science, but as many said, if you don't know how to close the opening, don't do the job, either way price it for profit, excluding it from the bid, will only cause conflict with the GC later, Try to list and price the tasks, wire and mount fan xx$ install vent duct xx$ roof cut xx$ then total it, call attention to the items, so the GC understands the scope, and is aware of your efforts not to, try and sting him for an extra later.

quogueelectric

I should have been a pool contractor. Its not like you are going to put two pools in and they are among the most ruthless of all. Once they get finalpayment and they always seem to get this before completion. Taillight guarantee.

ctmike

I should have been a pool contractor. Its not like you are going to put two pools in and they are among the most ruthless of all. Once they get finalpayment and they always seem to get this before completion. Taillight guarantee.

how did we get form bath fans to pools

Status
Not open for further replies.