Bathroom Lighting on GFCI Circuit Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was flagged at final inspection of a bathroom because the lighting tripped along with the receptacle GFCI test. The entire bathroom is on a 20A GFCI circuit breaker. This is the first time I've had an inspection fail, and I'm looking for advice on how to negotiate/argue/debate with the inspector, as I am 99% certain that my installation is code-compliant. Here is my analysis:

210.8(A) - Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel in Dwelling Units: All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in [...] (1) Bathrooms [...] shall have ground-fault circuit-interruptor protection for personnel.

Compliant. All bathroom receptacles are on a branch circuit protected by a GFCI breaker.

210.11(C)(3) - Branch Circuits Required in Dwelling Units, Bathroom Branch Circuits: In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply a bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets. EXCEPTION: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).
210.23(A)(1) - Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Not Fastened In Place: N/A
210.23(A)(2) - Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place: N/A

Compliant. The lighting is permitted to be on the same 20-ampere branch circuit as the required branch circuit for bathroom receptacles because the circuit at no point leaves the bathroom.

210.70(A)(1) - Lighting Outlets Required in Dwelling Unit Habitable Rooms: At least one wall switch-controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom.

Compliant. There is a vanity light controlled by a wall switch.

Massachusetts, for example, has amendment "210.70(D): GFCI Protection of Lighting Outlets in All Occupancies: The operation of a single GFCI device shall not deenergize all lighting outlets in a given area."

Neither the village, county, nor state of my installation have such an amendment. The AHJ has adopted the 2011 NEC.

The inspector could quote no code prohibiting the bathroom lighting from being GFCI protected, only referencing the (understandable and logical) inconvenience of being in a dark bathroom should the receptacle be tripped. Do I suck it up and change my installation, or can you provide tips based off experience on how to convince the inspector to pass the install?

Thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You are compliant but just wire the line and load on the gfci to the load side and then the lights won't trip when the gfci trips.

How are you doing electrical work if you are a beginning electrician? Do you not need a license in your area?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You are compliant but just wire the line and load on the gfci to the load side and then the lights won't trip when the gfci trips.

How are you doing electrical work if you are a beginning electrician? Do you not need a license in your area?
Wouldn't it be in line with instructions to wire both to line side?
Self testing will not reset with only a load connection.

mobile

Wouldn't it be in line with instructions to wire both to line side?
Self testing will not reset with only a load connection.

mobile

Dennis and GoldDigger, thank you for your responses. As I stated, the entire circuit is protected by a GFCI circuit breaker, so there is no line side of a GFCI receptacle at which to connect the lighting load. The inspector called back the next day and confirmed that my installation is code-compliant.

peter d

It's allowed by code but I don't consider it good design. It's interesting to note that Massachusetts has an amendment to the NEC that forbids primary bathroom lighting from being on the load side of a GFCI. They do allow a shower light or other "non primary" light to be GFCI protected.

Edit: I just saw that the OP quoted that. :slaphead::slaphead:

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Only time NEC cares if people get left in the dark is with areas where emergency lighting is a requirement should there be a loss of power, single family dwellings are usually excluded from such requirements.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis and GoldDigger, thank you for your responses. As I stated, the entire circuit is protected by a GFCI circuit breaker, so there is no line side of a GFCI receptacle at which to connect the lighting load. The inspector called back the next day and confirmed that my installation is code-compliant.

So put in a regular breaker and use a gfci receptacle in the bathroom without any load side connected to the gfci.

kwired

Electron manager
Sounds like he was reasonable enough to do some research and found he was initially wrong, and also realizes he is human and does make mistakes.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
A requirement like that would open a whole can of worms. Separate circuits for lighting and receptacles? Lighting split between more than one circuit in an area?

-Hal

iwire

Staff member
A requirement like that would open a whole can of worms. Separate circuits for lighting and receptacles? Lighting split between more than one circuit in an area?

-Hal

We have had it as long as I can remember here in. MA and it seems to work fine.

kwired

Electron manager

-Hal

No such requirement here. I have generally run the lighting on 15 amp circuits and receptacles on 20 amp circuits anyway. Sometimes the vent fan/light over a tub or shower ends up on bath GFCI - but any other lighting in the bathroom is usually on a 15 amp circuit with lighting for other rooms in that same area of the house. Totally a design issue and nothing to do with codes though.

chris1971

How would you do a fan/light combo placed in a tub or shower area? What if that was the main light source for the bathroom? You'd be violating Mass. NEC amendment if you installed it with GFCI protection. You'd be violating the NEC if you didn't provide GFCI protection.

kwired

Electron manager
How would you do a fan/light combo placed in a tub or shower area? What if that was the main light source for the bathroom? You'd be violating Mass. NEC amendment if you installed it with GFCI protection. You'd be violating the NEC if you didn't provide GFCI protection.
Does the local rule prohibit all lights on GFCI or just prohibit all lights in a particuar area to be on the same GFCI?

peter d

It requires two sources of power and/or two source of light.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The inspector could quote no code prohibiting the bathroom lighting from being GFCI protected, only referencing the (understandable and logical) inconvenience of being in a dark bathroom should the receptacle be tripped. Do I suck it up and change my installation, or can you provide tips based off experience on how to convince the inspector to pass the install?

Thank you.

Your installation might not be the best design but is code compliant unless there is a local amendment. And how often do GFCI breakers trip anyway.

eds

To me the analogy when the gfi trips you will be left in the dark is a poor one. We put lights on arc fault devices and when they trip you will also be left in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.