Bathroom Receptacle Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That makes no sense. You can have a receptacle right next to a sink, where it will be used, but can't have it within 3' of a tub, where it would seldom be used.

MAC702

So back to the picture that shows both walls too close to the tub. What if the light switch wall was outside the 3' zone, but the sink walls were still inside? Does this mean the receptacle must be on the light switch wall to be outside the tub's exclusion zone, or still at the sink to be inside its inclusion zone?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The receptacle can be on the far side of the sink even if it is closer than 3'-- thus the exception. Remember the receptacle must be within 3' of the sink also.

Can someone find the substantiation for this-- the link. I can't seem to find it at nfpa site

MAC702

The receptacle can be on the far side of the sink even if it is closer than 3'-- thus the exception. Remember the receptacle must be within 3' of the sink also....

The exception says "Exception: In bathrooms with less than the required zone the receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be installed opposite the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold on the farthest wall within the room."

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The exception says "Exception: In bathrooms with less than the required zone the receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be installed opposite the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold on the farthest wall within the room."

Yes, and how does that change what I said?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I think the reason was to keep in line with 410.10(D) for pendants. But they don't have gfci protection....oh well

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The only justification I saw was that art 410.10(D), which is for pendant lights, uses the same 3' rule around the shower/tub so someone thought that they would help clarify the original section.

Status
Not open for further replies.