Best way to tap a feeder to a fused disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donw

In an industrial plant, they have a 480/277V feeder to a building from a service in another building. The disconnect in the service is 600A and the feeder is 2 sets of 350kcmils. It feeds a service-rated 600A fused disconnect containing 175A fuses. This disconnect feeds a 480-208 150kVA transformer. Now they'd like to add a 200A 480/277V panel to the building. What would be the least expensive way to tap the 600A feeder to add this panel. I know it'll need a service-rated main and to be grouped with the transformer disconnect...and have a grounding electrode system. But what's the best way to tap the feeder? J-box with lugs? 400A lugs big enough? Do the lugs need to be service rated?

mdshunk

If I understand your situation correctly, I'd do it with a sufficiently sized junction box and distribution blocks with the appropriate number and sizes of holes.

9080LBA362104%20Power%20Distribution%20Block%203P_lres.jpg

derf48

The easiest way may simply be to change the fuses and the load side lugs in the existing disconnect. By installing a double barrel lug in the existing disconnect, leaving that disconnect to be your service rated building disconnect, and run a 200 amp feeder to the new panel , distance determined by tap rules, and install a new 200 amp disconect for your transformer. Very little change in the existing wiring and a minimat outage time.

iwire

Staff member

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Personally, I would follow Bob's lead and use stack lugs, but Larry's idea brings a question to mind.
Since we have parallel feeder conductors, if one was to use the "Kub-L-Tap" would you not need to install a tap on each conductor and parallel you tap feeds thus running a minimum of two 1/0s per phase to the switch ?

ron

Larry and Bob,
Are those insulation piercing lugs referred to as tiger bites in the field?

An EC told a owner that he would perform a splice energized, if I let him use tiger bites instead of my normal specification of a long "barrel" compression H Tap done de-energized.

iwire

Staff member
ron said:
Larry and Bob,

Not that I have heard but we call them 'couple taps'.

An EC told a owner that he would perform a splice energized, if I let him use tiger bites instead of my normal specification of a long "barrel" compression H Tap done de-energized.

I am willing to bet insulation piercing lugs is exactly what he has in mind.

It should go without saying that the instructions say not to install these on live conductors.

Having used these on 4/0 to 4/0 CU connections I can't help but feel they are no where near as good as your H-Tap standard.

Alignment and placement of the conductors seems to be both critical and difficult depending on how much slack you have to work with.

electricalperson

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
augie47 said:
Personally, I would follow Bob's lead and use stack lugs, but Larry's idea brings a question to mind.
Since we have parallel feeder conductors, if one was to use the "Kub-L-Tap" would you not need to install a tap on each conductor and parallel you tap feeds thus running a minimum of two 1/0s per phase to the switch ?
Yes, 310.4 will require you to tap both conductors on each phase.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
Where the piercing taps seem to shine (IMO) is taping a 4/0 with a 6 or a 10 etc.
Same here. My most recent application was a fire-suppression up-fit (or is that re-fit?) in a delicatessen kitchen in a super market. The kitchen panel had a shunt-trip main, which was great . . . except for the exhaust fans, their contactor, and the horn-strobe.

I needed to grab a pair of 20a circuits (two 120v blowers) and one more for the contactors, horn-strobe, etc., so I decided to tap onto the incoming 250's with about 8' of #4's to a back-fed (and fastened) 60a main in a small panel, well within the tap requirements.

I've also used the Ilsco Kup-L-Tap, Tapping energized is obviously the main feature.
The ones I used in the deli are the B-taps. Those puppies are big! Click the pic:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
augie47 said:
Since we have parallel feeder conductors, if one was to use the "Kub-L-Tap" would you not need to install a tap on each conductor and parallel you tap feeds . . .
Shhh! :cool: (In other words, yes, you're supposed to tap paralleled conductors identically.)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
ron said:
Larry and Bob,

They certainly fit the description, and they're definitely rated for energized use.

I'm still here. :wink:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
It should go without saying that the instructions say not to install these on live conductors.
Maybe it should, but what it does say is that, when installing energized, there must be no load. Otherwise, what's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.