Best & Worst Customers Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
By quoting the job in the beginning, getting a signature on a contract that describes the work to the customer as well as describing when how and how much the future payments would be then sticking to the agreements made. Sometimes friendly isn't enough.

I know your (that is you're) being snide but I'll answer anyway. I can't prevent people from being crazy, I can prevent it from costing me money and often I can understand it and still serve those customers.

Are you suggesting that this customer is hopeless and the only thing you could have done different would be to have not served them?

I am saying the customer was fabricating a story to beat me down. I gave her excellent service the way I've served people for over 30 years in electrical work, in restaurants, in various customer service jobs in a corporate office. A person who will make up a lie to bargain me down will still try to pick me after a signed contract. The plumber had a contract & she still tried to pick him. Granted, the contract would give me better evidence if it had to go to court. Collecting before the job would be the most secure thing for me, but I'm sure you would think that was poor customer service too.

jmellc

Occupation
If you use a disconnect with a pull-out mechanism as a local disconnect you can easily take the pull-out with you. When they call to tell you it doesn't work you can demand your remaining payment you asked for or there is no warranty. When they pay you all you need to do is install the pull out and you are done.

If they call someone else to fix it, you are still out of your money, but they likely spent more than if they just paid you what you asked for, and you are likely not willing to work for them in the future ever again anyway.

Good idea, but in this case, the water heater is cord/plug, just needed a receptacle. I installed a receptacle & fed with a GFCI breaker in panel. For general use, I would have used a GFCI receptacle, but they are more subject to nuisance tripping.

jmellc

Occupation
You could break there (that's their) legs too, or abduct there (that's their) first born.

Maybe pin the wife to the floor and straddle her demanding some sort of payment.

Or consider a career change.

I am not a leg breaker and I don't want their first born. I am not a thug and would not pin the wife to the floor.

You should consider learning to spell and punctuate.

Gold

I am saying the customer was fabricating a story to beat me down. I gave her excellent service the way I've served people for over 30 years in electrical work, in restaurants, in various customer service jobs in a corporate office. A person who will make up a lie to bargain me down will still try to pick me after a signed contract. The plumber had a contract & she still tried to pick him. Granted, the contract would give me better evidence if it had to go to court. Collecting before the job would be the most secure thing for me, but I'm sure you would think that was poor customer service too.

I'm saying that could have been avoided with a structure that shows what is expected of both parties in the beginning delivering exactly as you agree then asking for payment exactly when and how your supposed to. For instance

You pay this much now by giving me a check or credit card.
I will install this this way and this that way if I have a problem the price won't go up, but when I am done I will bring you an invoice that looks like this one and you will pay this much with your credit card or check.
sign here x

You should consider learning to spell and punctuate.

I'll do that, TY.

John120/240

A signed contract with the agreed upon price is the way to go. We know that you already know

this. Explain to the customer that if the job takes longer than you thought that you will eat it.

We don't know how much junk is between the panel & water heater but drag your feet, slow

down for 15 or 20 minutes. Make the customer think they are getting there money's worth.

It goes over much better with customer if you quote HIGH & come in low.

kwired

Electron manager
We have to remember there is always going to be an occasional customer that just likes to be difficult. You have to take them case by case. I would try to get what I am asking for but would not spend too much time fighting for $25.

If they ever call back for a problem with this install, I will go back, but I will be really busy at the time and will have to see just when I can work it in the schedule. How about next week, I am just booked up until then. Other potential future work with this customer will be taken with a different approach than usual.

renosteinke

This thread reminds me of a time ....

Look, I really like doing productive things. I feel so good when, at the end of a job, I flip the switch and everything works. I like it when folks smile and tell me how nice everything is. It's what makes the trade worthwhile. So, when you don't get that outcome, you are confused and hurt.

For a time in the early 90's, I drove a cab. Outside Reno there are legal brothels; such places were desireable fares, because the meter ran about $22, plus the brothel tossed us a few dollars. Let me tell you, with a 'net' income of about $150/wk., a brothel trip was very attractive.

So, a gent approaches the cab. I give him an estimate of $22. He tell me other guys charge $17. I figure I'd cut him some slack. Long story short, at the brothel I see him try to squeeze the girl in a like manner, and pretty much leave without spending any money. I bring him back in ... and, guess what? He's short a few bucks. So much for a tip!

Lesson learned. From then on, it was 'pay the meter, and if "Joe" say different, feel free to go ride with Joe.'

A funny thing happened when i did that. Folks got really upset. As if I was the one being rude and unreasonable. As if I was the bad guy. Nearly a 100% walk-away rate. Then again, I had learned I wasn't going to make any money from them anyway.

Sure, it hurt my felings to have them walk away ... but it also hurt my feelings when these guys asked to re-write the rules to their own advantage. I was living in the back of my pick-up truck at the time, barely keeping body & soul together ... I figured if anyone needed a break it was me.

Another loss happened when I was part of perhaps a dozen cabs carrying a wedding party. You guessed it; everyone thought someone else would pay the bill. We all got stiffed. Oops.

Now, there were a few drivers I considered "crooks." I had this opinion as they would take the 'scenic route' and pull other stunts to run up the meter. Somehow their cars all had 'fast' reading meters, too. What puzzled me were the customers I would encounter who sang their praises of these guys. Somehow they had mastered the art of fleecing the customers, and making the customers like it. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Back to electric work .... all you can do is have the customer agree to a price BEFORE doing any work. Then, when you're finished, say 'I did what we agreed, now pay what you agreed.' Before you start work, address EVERY issue that may come up. Who cleans up, what condition the yard will be in, who fixes holes in the wall, etc. Don't leave the guy an opening to ask for $50 off because you stepped on some flowers. Then your position will simply be "We had a deal and I did my part."

If they want to re-open negotiations after the work is done, you MIGHT be nice and point out some unforseen complications for which they were not charged. Or, you can simply tell them to either pay up, or agree to pay your shop rate while you stand around and talk. If you're still getting nonsense, pack up, give them another chance to pay, then go file your lien, etc. Heck, call from the courthouse just before you file and ask them if they have reconsidered.

Will they get mad? Of course they will. That's a given. It's part of the game. You did your part; they never intended to do their part. "Guilt" makes them protest too much.

You have three possible options open to you. You can lien the property. You can sue (small claims) to collect. You might also be able to file a police report alleging theft of services.

You, by comparison, become the criminal when you damage the property, damage the work you've done, block their drive, or harass them.

Plaintif or defendant: it's your choice.

jmellc

Occupation
Thanks for all the input. I will make more effort to be sure up front that customer understands the price. It goes against everything I was ever taught to pad billings to leave room to bargain. That sends the message that I am overpricing and one has to fight. I will get signed approvals from such customers before work begins. Even that is hard for me but I will do it to survive. I really hate that so many people are so conniving that it comes to such things as this.

The credit card payment showed up in my bank account this morning, so I am a bit relieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.