Bidding a house

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

Re: Bidding a house

My state also. Must have a state masters license, state contractors license, liability insurance, and workmens comp. is optional.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Same here.

Who is pulling the permit?

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Okay, now I understand. There are MA members here that will know the going rates.

Of course they may not be willing to give away the information. ;)

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Welcome to the forum.

Stick around, you will get some info.

Roger

bigjohn67

$1.00 sq. ft for Labor
$1.00 sq. ft for material minus fixtures and service and Large 220 loads.

electricmanscott

You guys sure are quick to lay down the law. Without any info you assume someone is a diy or your average hack. Wow. 532, Give me a city or town and I will give you more info. Also details on the house itself will help.

Of course they may not be willing to give away the information
I don't mind giving out "secrets", there is more than enough work around here for everybody.

[ July 23, 2005, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

GG

I would start out with a detailed material list, and discuss who will be supplying what. I have been burned on jobs in the past where something wasnt discussed and then Im stuck paying for it.

[ July 23, 2005, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: GG ]

adidas532

thank you for all the advice. The house is in the Greenfield MA area.

I just got the prints, I haven't gone over the layout with the homeowner yet. I know the guy and he's pretty understanding, but I don't want to estimate too low and then look bad after.

does the $1 per sq for labor and material cover rough and finish? less the big items.

someone else told me $15 per opening, any thoughts?

Thanks for all your help,
Eric

GG

The square foot pricing in my opinion is not the way to go. What if the house has 30 can lights, chandeliers, fans in every room on 2 switches, Xmas receptacles in the eves on a time clock, time clock to control the outside landscape lighting, more lights are going outside then inside, doorbell button in the garage, back patio, and front door, light in every closet on a switch, door jam switch in pantry door, under and above kitchen counter lighting. I think you get my point. There is no way that using some magic # and multiplying it by the square footage that your going to come up with an accurate price. Now charging a $ amount per opening doesnt work for me and I dont like it. Some EC's swear by it and have great success with it. The only thing that has worked for me is take off a material list from the blueprints. Once you come up with your material price then apply labor hours, overhead, any other job expenses (ie. permits,tools,etc.), and then you will know what it will cost for you to break even. You then apply the amount of profit you want to make and hopefully you get the job. :D

[ July 24, 2005, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: GG ]

Status
Not open for further replies.