blown in insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Old cloth covered wiring with rubber insulation is a safety hazard. If disturbed, the insulation will fall apart and exposed open wiring will result.
How old is old I've seen bad 15 year old NM-B and perfect condition 100 year old knob and tube that still has give. It depends on the condition of the space its in and other factors like moisture and sunlight from windows or proximity to heat sources. It's subjective and gets to a point of "you do you" as a contractor. I've done device replacements on old 2 wire and knob and tube and had 0 issues. These circuits got GFI breakers on them so if there was a short in the multi circuit switch and outlet boxes they'd trip. When working with old stuff you have to draw a line for sure but not everyone is able to do what you are expecting and I've never had a customer ever be refused home insurance so long as they had their old zinsco, FPE, or true fuse box replaced with anything modern. The replacement of just the panel doesn't even trigger adding afci and gfci in the 2020 code which you're now under.

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
That's why people are leaving California. We have very stringent code standards, based on energy efficiency. It's all electric, no gas appliances.
In California if you have a 60 - amp panel, you will have to up - grade to at least a 200 - amp panel.
Old wiring "Romex" wiring can't handle it.
Unless you're talking about old Romex conductors not being up to moving to a new panel, upgrading to a new panel shouldn't affect old wiring-- only wire being replaced is from the meter to the panel. Existing circuits should have circuit-appropriate breakers; no problem.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
That's why people are leaving California. We have very stringent code standards, based on energy efficiency. It's all electric, no gas appliances.
In California if you have a 60 - amp panel, you will have to up - grade to at least a 200 - amp panel.
Upgrade it if what happens?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Wholesale houses in California only stock 200-amp panels now, it takes a special order to get 100-amp panels. Is that the same in other states ?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
But the current will still be a function of voltage across load resistance, won't it?.
Sort of; they are related by Ohm's Law but voltage is a function of current. If you connect a PV system through wiring of X ampacity to the grid, there will be voltage drop in the wiring and Ohm's Law will be preserved. If you then double the ampacity of the wiring (cut the resistance in half), the voltage drop will be halved and the current will remain the same; Ohm is still happy. With a voltage source, V and R are independent variables and I is dependent. With a current source I and R are independent and V is dependent.

Last edited:

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Wholesale houses in California only stock 200-amp panels now, it takes a special order to get 100-amp panels. Is that the same in other states ?
I assume your talking about Combination Service Entrance Devices?

I just checked with one of my supply houses and they have (18) 100 amp and (41) 125 amp CSED's in stock.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I assume your talking about Combination Service Entrance Devices?

I just checked with one of my supply houses and they have (18) 100 amp and (41) 125 amp CSED's in stock.

Thanks, that is useful information. On service upgrades I tell the customer the size of a 200-amp combination service. When they realize the foot print size they are astonished. But, if they want increased capacity for solar panels and other loads, they have no other choice.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
In my opinion ... Don't walk but run away from old wiring. It is unsafe, and the insurance companies will not insure in California.
I rewired 2 houses because insurance company would not insure knob and tube. No insurance issues I ever saw with any form of Romex, old or new. If I were in insurance underwriter, I would likely exclude BX, as it is often is worse shape than K/T.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I rewired 2 houses because insurance company would not insure knob and tube. No insurance issues I ever saw with any form of Romex, old or new. If I were in insurance underwriter, I would likely exclude BX, as it is often is worse shape than K/T.
The old knob and tube ends up being ok if kept away from squirrels the old BX is a death trap.

OldBroadcastTech

Occupation
Retired Broadcast Technician
The demand for increased electricity continues. It will be an all-electric world for everyone, not just California. Do you have the electrical capacity to meet your future needs ?
"Do you have the electrical capacity to meet your future needs ?"

It's not my homes capacity that I worry about.

It is whether the 1970-ish transformers and undersized spans of wire between poles, serving the neighborhood, have 'the capacity'..........

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
"Do you have the electrical capacity to meet your future needs ?"

It's not my homes capacity that I worry about.

It is whether the 1970-ish transformers and undersized spans of wire between poles, serving the neighborhood, have 'the capacity'..........
That's where mini-solar farms on everyone's roofs will help...

Status
Not open for further replies.