bonding bushing at disconnect

Cjmccarthy

Occupation
Project Coordinator FDOT
The conduit that the arrow is pointing to does not have a grounding bushing in the disconnect, the contractor said it was on the other end. The conduit transitions to PVC 6 inches below grade. My question is, does it matter what side the grounding/bonding bushing is located? The rigid conduit in question houses the ground/bounding wire to the ground array. I attached a close up of the disconnect and a typical site layout.

Attachments

• No grounding bushing.jpg
    No grounding bushing.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 79
  • Typical Site Layout.jpg
    Typical Site Layout.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 80

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
The conduit that the arrow is pointing to does not have a grounding bushing in the disconnect, the contractor said it was on the other end. The conduit transitions to PVC 6 inches below grade. My question is, does it matter what side the grounding/bonding bushing is located? The rigid conduit in question houses the ground/bounding wire to the ground array. I attached a close up of the disconnect and a typical site layout.
If you have locknuts inside and outside and you aren't in a concentric/eccentric knockout, or the hole is listed for the use as bonding, then you don't need a bonding bushing per code. I'd be that FDOT specs require one though. Also the person who told you the bushing on the other end, with PVC in between, should be docked a paycheck for stupidity.

Cjmccarthy

Occupation
Project Coordinator FDOT
If you have locknuts inside and outside and you aren't in a concentric/eccentric knockout, or the hole is listed for the use as bonding, then you don't need a bonding bushing per code. I'd be that FDOT specs require one though. Also the person who told you the bushing on the other end, with PVC in between, should be docked a paycheck for stupidity.
My mistake, because it houses the ground wire it does not have the PVC pipe in the ground. the RGS stops and the wire is direct bury.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
I thaught bonding bushings were required only for services or for cabinet entrances containing conductors with voltage of 277 volts or over 150 volts to ground.

Also aren’t you required to knock out all eccentric KOs before selecting reducing washers to the desired size conduit entering a cabinet?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I thaught bonding bushings were required only for services or for cabinet entrances containing conductors with voltage of 277 volts or over 150 volts to ground.

It's actually just over 250 volts to ground.

Also aren’t you required to knock out all eccentric KOs before selecting reducing washers to the desired size conduit entering a cabinet?

No.

jaggedben

Occupation
The code actually does not say anything about reducing washers or concentric/eccentric knock-outs unless the connection is at the service or over 250 volts to ground. It does require removing paint to use connection as a bonding connection, which is relevant to using reducing washers on an outdoor enclosure. A grounding bushing is imo a good practice outdoors.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
UL: QCRV
GROUNDING Metal reducing washers are considered suitable for grounding for use in circuits over and under 250 V and where installed in accordance with ANSI/NFPA 70, ‘‘National Electrical Code,’’ for raceways containing other than service conductors. Reducing washers are intended for use with metal enclosures having a minimum thickness of 0.053 in. Reducing washers may be installed in enclosures provided with concentric or eccentric knockouts, only after all of the concentric and eccentric rings have been removed. However, those enclosures containing concentric and eccentric knockouts that have been certified for bonding purposes may be used with reducing washers without all knockouts being removed.

Dusty Steele

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
I have a question regarding the "required" use of conduit bonding bushings. I have an inspector that is saying all conduits 1 -1/2" and larger are required to have bonding bushings installed and used. He hasn't referenced a code article but, is adamant that they are a code requirement and are to be installed (the installations are not installed in a classified locations). We've installed 27 of the same installations and they have been approved without incident. Not to mention I can't locate a code article that requires them to be utilized. Please advise.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
What's the voltage to ground? Nec doesn't specify anything about the conduit size as to If a bond bushing is required. It's dependant on the reason and then any metalic conduit of any size in that situation requires it.

jaggedben

Occupation
I have a question regarding the "required" use of conduit bonding bushings. I have an inspector that is saying all conduits 1 -1/2" and larger are required to have bonding bushings installed and used. He hasn't referenced a code article but, is adamant that they are a code requirement and are to be installed (the installations are not installed in a classified locations). We've installed 27 of the same installations and they have been approved without incident. Not to mention I can't locate a code article that requires them to be utilized. Please advise.

He's just completely wrong.

JJWalecka

UL: QCRV
GROUNDING Metal reducing washers are considered suitable for grounding for use in circuits over and under 250 V and where installed in accordance with ANSI/NFPA 70, ‘‘National Electrical Code,’’ for raceways containing other than service conductors. Reducing washers are intended for use with metal enclosures having a minimum thickness of 0.053 in. Reducing washers may be installed in enclosures provided with concentric or eccentric knockouts, only after all of the concentric and eccentric rings have been removed. However, those enclosures containing concentric and eccentric knockouts that have been certified for bonding purposes may be used with reducing washers without all knockouts being removed.
are all enclosures certified for bonding purposes?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
are all enclosures certified for bonding purposes?
The only enclosures that have the concentric or eccentric KOs listed for bonding and grounding without all of the rings removed are metal outlet boxes...in general the boxes in 314.16. It is part of the listing requirement for those types of boxes so they are all suitable for the purpose even if the box or container is not so marked, as the listing standard permits but does not require the marking.
There are no disconnect enclosures, panelboard enclosures, or junction boxes that have these types of KOs listed for grounding and bonding.