Bonding pool wall joint plate

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
For above ground pools you have to hit 4 posts for the bonding. Is there anything in the code that says the joint plate where the walls of the pool are bolted together have to be bonded?

The pool is filled, and my only fear is if I take this support post off to expose the plate with all the bolts I won’t be able to get it back into place because of the pressure of the water. Was going to call the inspector, but I figured I’d ask you guys first.

John A

Occupation
Inspector
There is nothing specific in 680 regarding the 'joint plate' AFAIK. If you bond the 4 points around the pool, the theory is that the metalic framing is bonded. Also, there is a 'water bond', either thru a metalic piece in the return/suction hose, or a plate within the skimmer. or xx inches of copper coil.

The metalic walls are not mentioned specifically as requiring bonding, the theory (IMHO) is it is in contact with the support members, and the bottom 'rail', which the support members are attached to.

Again, a call to the Inspector in the town you are working in will give you his/her opinion.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Man do you want me to fail inspection? Lol

Metal walls, metal posts
I gave you the code section saying the 4 points is not required with a vinyl liner. What else do you want?
I've lost count on how many pools I have done and never had a problem with just bonding in one place and not the 4 points for the ones with a vinyl liner.

It doesn't hurt if you do bond at 4 points, it's just not necessary.

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
I gave you the code section saying the 4 points is not required with a vinyl liner. What else do you want?
I've lost count on how many pools I have done and never had a problem with just bonding in one place and not the 4 points for the ones with a vinyl liner.

It doesn't hurt if you do bond at 4 points, it's just not necessary.
When did you give me a code section?

I’m seeing this:

“Bonding to perimeter surfaces shall be provided as specified in 680.26(B)(2)(a) or (2)(b) and shall be attached to the pool reinforcing steel or copper conductor grid at a minimum of four (4) points uniformly spaced around the perimeter of the pool.”

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I’m seeing this:

“Bonding to perimeter surfaces shall be provided as specified in 680.26(B)(2)(a) or (2)(b) and shall be attached to the pool reinforcing steel or copper conductor grid at a minimum of four (4) points uniformly spaced around the perimeter of the pool.”
I don't have my code book doesn't that section say that vinyl liner pools do not require the 4 points?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

I’m seeing this:

680.26(B)(1)
Vinyl liners and fiberglass composite
shells shall be considered to be nonconductive materials.

680.26(B)(2)
For nonconductive pool shells, bonding at four points
shall not be required.

I may have you mixed up with another thread.

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
Did you even read the code sections I posted?
To be fair I originally asked about the the metal plate that bonds the pool walls together.

I’m going to bond 4 posts, pumps, and skimmer regardless because that’s what the inspector approved.

In your response I saw it said nonconductive pool shells don’t need to be bonded and I moved on

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
To be fair I originally asked about the the metal plate that bonds the pool walls together.

I’m going to bond 4 posts, pumps, and skimmer regardless because that’s what the inspector approved.

In your response I saw it said nonconductive pool shells don’t need to be bonded and I moved on
I didn't say it didn't need bonding, I said bonding at 4 points was not required.
Carry on!