Bonding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark @ Ampol

Does the code require for switches to be bonded to the box with a bonding jumper (bare or green wire)? This is in New York City, where we use Armored Cable and steel boxes. This is regarding residential wiring.

Thanks,
Mark

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It depends on what you are using. MC may be used. Look at 250.118 (10)of the NEC. The old style ac (BX) was not legal as an equipment ground.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Does the code require for switches to be bonded to the box with a bonding jumper (bare or green wire)? This is in New York City, where we use Armored Cable and steel boxes. This is regarding residential wiring.

Thanks,
Mark
If you're talking about typical wall switch, no. Metal box, metal screws. Box is required to be grounded. Metal switch yoke grounded to box through metal screws.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you're talking about typical wall switch, no. Metal box, metal screws. Box is required to be grounded. Metal switch yoke grounded to box through metal screws.

I agree, the 6-32 screws are all that you need.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hate to nit pick, but I can't resist. It's not 6 32nds of an inch. The 6 relates to the diameter of the screw. The 32 indicates 32 threads per inch.

You're not nitpicking at all. You're correct the " should not have been in that post so I'll remove it.

aftershock

Here in Shelby Co. TN, Unless the yoke of the switch makes full contact with a metal box which IS bonded, then the ground wire must be attached to the switch grounding screw. Same with receptacle outlets.
404.9(B) does not address what I stated so it must be a local thing?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here in Shelby Co. TN, Unless the yoke of the switch makes full contact with a metal box which IS bonded, then the ground wire must be attached to the switch grounding screw. Same with receptacle outlets.
404.9(B) does not address what I stated so it must be a local thing?

The switch and receptacle requirements are different. The NEC does not require direct contact between the switch yoke and the metal box.

kwired

Electron manager
You're not nitpicking at all. You're correct the " should not have been in that post so I'll remove it.

Only because you are a moderator and can do so, rest of us have limited time to make changes:p

The switch and receptacle requirements are different. The NEC does not require direct contact between the switch yoke and the metal box.

That is my take on it, but I have an inspector that wants to see the retaining fiber washers removed from all device screws if there is no separate bonding jumper installed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Only because you are a moderator and can do so, rest of us have limited time to make changes:p

Mod's will be happy to make edits to a post, all you need to do is ask. :cool:

That is my take on it, but I have an inspector that wants to see the retaining fiber washers removed from all device screws if there is no separate bonding jumper installed.

That's either due to a local thing or a misapplication of the NEC. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.