Boom

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Went to a service call today. The full size 2 pole in positions 5 and 7 was tripped. Feeds a small sub-panel below this one. I took it out to inspect the breaker and buss. All looked OK so I began to put it back. As I pushed it in the insulator between C and B buss failed and BOOM, out go the lights. I took a piece of THHN insulation from a 350 and slipped it between the busses to get the business open for today.

Also, that black 12 connected to the neutral bar, that used to be a neutral.:roll:

ExplodingMunchkin001.jpg

480sparky

Is this one of those General D or Square Electric panels I keep hearing about?

I don't see a main, so this must be a subpanel itself. Noodle bar isn't bonded, so where do all the green wires go?????

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Glad you didn't get hurt. I worked in a pool room where there was a panel for the pumps. The chlorine had corroded much of the cover. I was helping a fellow EC who was adding a DP breaker to the panel. The easiest spot to install the breaker was down at the bottom. I noticed the buss was corroded so I installed it at the top of the panel. My friend, who has poor vision, went to hook it up but didn't like where I installed it so he moved it. I was outside and I heard this bang and I immediately realized what happened. My friend came running out and nearly jumped in the pool because his hand got burned so badly. He was very fortunate.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician

LittleD

How's this for a BOOM !

t.jpg

Thank God no one was hurt! I wasn't in the yard that day but 2 of my co-workers were. Had it been 10minutes later, they would have been standing right by that tank!!!!

See the transformer in the background? That blew last year!

I swear, I'm bringing in some holy water to sprinkle around that yard!

iaov

No one has asked about what PPE you were wearing.(I'm certain this is a mere oversight and not an indication of what a bunch of heartless SOB's we all are!) Glad you were not hurt.A very good reminder to us all that we need to be carefull every single moment!!And I think I speak for all us when I say I am very happy to hear Al wasn't hurt!!:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.