Box Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

So if you have a NEMA 3R outdoor box how’s the connection from RGS conduit to the box made so it’s watertight. You need a special hub to install? Can just put threaded end of conduit through knockout with locknuts and bushing.

jumper

These are popular. myers hub.

conduit-fittings-16320-64_1000.jpg

mstrlucky74

WOW. A quick look at Crouse Hinds or any other fitting website would of told you that.
WOW!. I was told from someone that a hub was needed to provide a watertight seal and not a sealing locknut. Was just making sure.

And wouldn't the sealing locknut only keep the inside of the box watertight. Couldn't water seep though from the outside where the conduit penetrates the box?

mstrlucky74

Not sure nema 3r come with ko's. But I imagine if they is the would be threaded for the rgs threaded end. We have 4-3" conduits entering box from bottom.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

follybeacher

Occupation
Estimator
I think you're best answer is what does an AHJ expect and allow. Your field crew should have a good idea of these requirements.
Around here if its on the sides or top we use myers hubs. If it's on the bottom you can get away with locknuts.

mstrlucky74

FS or FD box yes. But those are not knockouts, those are integral hubs.

What box/enclosure/cabinet are we talking about?

A NEMA 3R say about 30". Guess it could come with concentric KOs. So I guess they would have to do a field KO and use meyers hub.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.