Box fill question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Hass

I've got a "steel city" brand ceiling box installed in a dining room for a chandelier light. I was doing the box fill calculations and came up with needing 16.0 ci. I have (3) lines of 14/2 and a luminare stud. The box came with the nm clamps factory installed. The box is listed at 15.8ci. Besides changing the box, and idea what can be done to keep it legal? Or did I mess up the box fill calculation. Why the hell would a box be rated at 15.8???

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Listing question on marked box volume....

314.16(A) says the marked volume is the total volume of the assembled sections. Wouldn't that account for clamp fill already?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Only the clamp that is being used counts towards the box fill.

Instead of using the internal clamp use a NM connector that is on the outside of the box. That does not count towards the box fill.

Even though leaving the unused clamp/s does not count towards the box fill (unless you use one) but you can remove both clamp/s and that will give you more room.

Jack Hass

Power comes into the light, switch leg, and sending power to another light. Seems ridiculous that this is even an issue. The luminare stud was removed for the picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 0

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
To get 16ci fill, your box appears to have 4 clamps. Remove one.

Don't think that helps. 314.16(B)(2) counts clamp fill, regardless of number, as one.

Listing question on marked box volume....

314.16(A) says the marked volume is the total volume of the assembled sections. Wouldn't that account for clamp fill already?

Interesting point. When you look at the Steel City catalog a 54151-1/2 with no clamps and the same box with clamps (AC or NM) both show as 15.8 cu in leading me to believe that they did not take the clamps into consideration in stamping the volume.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
To get 16ci fill, your box appears to have 4 clamps. Remove one.

If it's this one, there is are only two clamps.

http://tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=54151N

Also, if the box is 4 x 1 1/2", Table 314.16(A) says that's only 15.5 cubic inches. The box would have to be larger than 4 x 1 1/2" for removing the clamps would get 16 cubic inches.

Personally, I wouldn't sweat the 2/10 inch discrepancy. That's about the size of a sugar cube.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
14-2 6 wires * 2= 12
14-2
14-2

luminare stud vol. al. 1 * 2=2

14 in2 is the box fill

Plus 2 inches for the three grounding conductors = 16 cubic (not square) inches. OP had it correct.

Edit to add:

Now I don't see a grounding conductor. If that's true, box fill is OK, but what about using a metal box on an circuit with no EGC? Also, it looks like the clamps are right on the conductors and the sheath is not sticking out 1/4 inch like it should be.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Only the clamp that is being used counts towards the box fill.

Instead of using the internal clamp use a NM connector that is on the outside of the box. That does not count towards the box fill.

Even though leaving the unused clamp/s does not count towards the box fill (unless you use one) but you can remove both clamp/s and that will give you more room.

314.16(B)(2) says an allowance shall be made where one or more internal cable clamps are "present" in the box, not when they are being "used" within the box.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Does the chandalier canopy give any relief?
I personally would hang it and move on.......

If it's this one, there is are only two clamps.

http://tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=54151N

Also, if the box is 4 x 1 1/2", Table 314.16(A) says that's only 15.5 cubic inches. The box would have to be larger than 4 x 1 1/2" for removing the clamps would get 16 cubic inches.

Personally, I wouldn't sweat the 2/10 inch discrepancy. That's about the size of a sugar cube.

I believe you meant sugar crystal !

Smart $

Esteemed Member
14-2 6 wires * 2 in2 =12
14-2
14-2

luminare stud vol. allowance of 1 * 2 in2 =2

14 in2 is the box fill

Plus 2 inches for the three grounding conductors = 16 cubic (not square) inches. OP had it correct.

Edit to add:

Now I don't see a grounding conductor. If that's true, box fill is OK, but what about using a metal box on an circuit with no EGC? Also, it looks like the clamps are right on the conductors and the sheath is not sticking out 1/4 inch like it should be.

You didn't include the clamp fill. That makes it 16 ci.
Still not complete.

(3) 14/2 = 12.0 cu. in
EGC's = 2.0 cu.in.
Stud = 2.0 cu.in.
Clamps = 2.0 cu.in
TOTAL = 18 cu.in.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I would say that box has to go because I don't see a grounding conductor.

314.4 says metal boxes should be grounded. Worrying about .2 of a cubic inch of fill is pretty moot in this case. Or am I just not seeing a grounding conductor????
Zoom in. I did and I can see an EGC with each, but only about half as long as the insulated conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.