Branch Wire: Solid vs Stranded

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

IMO. I think stranded would be fine, and used always.... BUT, I think solid would produce a better job.
I and I'm sure you have seen disgustingly messy stranded splices, missing strands, not so nice terminations to devices.

I agree the stranded is easier and adequate, but MOST institutional projects I've seen where all solid. Probably a reason?

It's going to be a dog, but I'm sure you bid on the work pulling the solid like your competitors right??? ( or did you hope to skate on it and pull the stranded?)

Hey everyone, I need some help convincing an electrical engineer to allow us to install stranded #12 AWG & #10 AWG branch wire. For some context the project is a large warehouse that will be converted into an upscale office. Basic commodities will be used throughout: EMT, MC cable, etc. The project has boiler plate specs calling for solid #12 AWG & #10 AWG. The electrical engineer responded to an RFI and said "please use #12 AWG solid copper, as the norm in commercial project wiring installations." Solid branch #12 & #10 is not "the norm" (at least here in California), and we certainly don't want to be pulling solid wire throughout the building. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to persuade the engineer to allow for stranded branch wire? He's a very nice guy and in previous meetings has admitted has no field experience and "trusts our expert opinion on application." Thanks!
Check with the manufacturer's rep for the conductor you're using. They have been pretty helpful to me in convincing engineers that they may not have the correct info in front of them to make that determination (that it's the "norm"). They may have a publication that suits your needs perfectly.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
IMO. I think stranded would be fine, and used always.... BUT, I think solid would produce a better job.
I and I'm sure you have seen disgustingly messy stranded splices, missing strands, not so nice terminations to devices.

I agree the stranded is easier and adequate, but MOST institutional projects I've seen where all solid. Probably a reason?

It's going to be a dog, but I'm sure you bid on the work pulling the solid like your competitors right??? ( or did you hope to skate on it and pull the stranded?)
Are you saying you see solid pulled into conduit on commercial or industrial projects?
If so, must be someone that has never pulled stranded. Stranded, IMO, is the only way to go when pulling through conduit/raceways. It is also the "norm" as you can see from the replies here.

Status
Not open for further replies.