Breaker types

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbecker123

Can a Cutler Hammer "type BR type C" breaker be used in a Challenger "type A,C" panel?

I think I remember an NEC article that says replacement breakers must be same type, but I cannot find it in my 2011.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Can a Cutler Hammer "type BR type C" breaker be used in a Challenger "type A,C" panel?

I think I remember an NEC article that says replacement breakers must be same type, but I cannot find it in my 2011.

I have used them.
You can get a C/H type CL that is for sure listed for that.

mbecker123

Wow, there is a lot of discussion / confusion about this, on this forum and others.

I know years ago I read an article, (UL whitesheet I think) that clearly said breaker type designation shall match the panel nameplate.

Experience has shown this to be true; every time I saw an arc damaged breaker / bussbar the breaker was not a type spec'd on nameplate. The only exceptions were Zinsco breakers.

As far as I can tell (but good info is hard to find):
"Interchangeable" means breaker will fit many panels, but connection to buss can have subtle differences. (Sometimes resulting in arcing).
"listed" means breaker type matches panel nameplate.
"Classified" means UL approved a breaker made by company A for a panel made by B. A classified breaker type will not match nameplate but printed with panels that it is approved for. The panel warranty is not voided per Magnuson?Moss warranty act.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Wow, there is a lot of discussion / confusion about this, on this forum and others.

I know years ago I read an article, (UL whitesheet I think) that clearly said breaker type designation shall match the panel nameplate.

Experience has shown this to be true; every time I saw an arc damaged breaker / bussbar the breaker was not a type spec'd on nameplate. The only exceptions were Zinsco breakers.

As far as I can tell (but good info is hard to find):
"Interchangeable" means breaker will fit many panels, but connection to buss can have subtle differences. (Sometimes resulting in arcing).
"listed" means breaker type matches panel nameplate.
"Classified" means UL approved a breaker made by company A for a panel made by B. A classified breaker type will not match nameplate but printed with panels that it is approved for. The panel warranty is not voided per Magnuson?Moss warranty act.

This is what the C-H type CL is...classified. There is paper that comes with them that shows what all breakers they are listed to replace. You are supposed tp leave that in the panel for anyone else that might come behind you to see. Might even be an inspector if a permit was pulled for this.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
There was a thread in here someplace about the Cutler Hammer type CH being used for a Challenger and a type BR for Bryant. I attached the UL letter from Eaton relative to approved substitutes View attachment 9044

The "CL" line is the listed breakers that are allowed for certain replacements. The "CH" is just the other brand/type that Eaton/Cutler-Hammer makes that is only for the CH panels.

People often confuse the CH with CL. I think CL stands for classified, and is what can be used in various brands of panels. CH is just the other line of panel besides the BR that Eaton makes.

CH is like Square D's QO. They will only fit in each panel respectively.

Last edited:

grasfulls

CL BR CH

CL BR CH

The "CL" line is the listed breakers that are allowed for certain replacements. The "CH" is just the other brand/type that Eaton/Cutler-Hammer makes that is only for the CH panels.

People often confuse the CH with CL. I think CL stands for classified, and is what can be used in various brands of panels. CH is just the other line of panel besides the BR that Eaton makes.

CH is like Square D's QO. They will only fit in each panel respectively.

Hey Curt,
The letter from UL to Eaton shows the BR as being a replacement for the Challenger type C, for whatever reason the CL is no ton the list. I am not an expert on alternative breakers, I will look up the CL.
Thanks!

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hey Curt,
The letter from UL to Eaton shows the BR as being a replacement for the Challenger type C, for whatever reason the CL is no ton the list. I am not an expert on alternative breakers, I will look up the CL.
Thanks!

CL is not on the list because it is not the UL listed replacement for type "C" or Type "BR" breakers. CL is a classified breaker that is designed to be used in may different panels.

There are some jurisdiction in my area the will not accept classified breakers. The breakers must be the same type that the panel label shows. Its kind of funny that UL states that that the instructions included with equipment must be followed yet when it comes to classified breakers they say we can ignore the panel instructions.

Back to the Type "C" and "BR" breakers. BR is the original type breaker for Bryant panels. When Westinghouse purchased Bryant distribution equipment they kept the BR breaker. Later Westinghouse purchased Challenger which used type "C" breakers. Instead of combining the 2 brands into one Westinghouse kept them separate. They did consolidate the product so it was the same for both brand names. You could buy a Westinghouse loadcenter or a Challenger loadcenter and they were identical except for the name. They did eliminate the original Challenger Type "C" and Type "A" circuit breakers. The replaced the "C" and "A" breakers with the Bryant "BR" design but printed "C" or "A" instead of "BR" on them.

When Cutler Hammer acquired the Westinghouse distribution equipment they consolidated the Westinghouse and Challenger equipment into one line of Cutler Hammer equipment. They started marking all of the circuit breakers with both Type "C" and "BR" so they could be use in all new equipment plus all existing Bryant and Challenger equipment.

Siemens is doing almost the same this as Westinghouse did. When they purchased Crouse Hinds distribution equipment they renamed the line back to Murray which is what is was before it was Crouse Hinds. They eliminated all of the original Murray/Crouse Hinds designs and replaced them with ITE/Siemens designs. The Siemens Type "Q" circuit breakers is the exact same breaker as the Murray Type "MP" except for the label. I wish they would just consolidate the lines and label the breakers with both types.

templdl

UK letter regarding C-H breakers

UK letter regarding C-H breakers

UL letter regarding C-H breakers

Attachments

• UL letter for breaker replacement1016115403174.pdf
    52.4 KB · Views: 22
Status
Not open for further replies.