Bubble covers for 15-20A receptacles in Wet Locations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephena

Are bubble covers "exra duty" required for all receptacles in a wet location or are wet location flip covers still allowed? I say they are according to 406.9B1 because it only states that the enclosure shall be weather proof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted or not. My coworker is saying the enclosure is no longer weather proof when the plug is inserted and the cover is up. 406.9B1 states that if an outlet box hood installed for this purpose it shall be listed and it shall be identified as extra duty. So am I right or wrong?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
.... My coworker is saying the enclosure is no longer weather proof when the plug is inserted and the cover is up.
Then the cover does not meet code.
406.9B1 states that if an outlet box hood installed for this purpose it shall be listed and it shall be identified as extra duty. So am I right or wrong?
Under '14 they are required to be "extra duty" for all recepts in wet locations except for areas that are subject to heavy spray. Prior editions exempted dwelling units.

stephena

So than the manufactures of all the wet location flip covers are making products that violate NEC? You are saying that when the flip cover is up the enclosure is no longer weather proof? The enclosure (the box) is still weather proof whether or not the cap is inserted or not. I am not seeing how 406.9B1 is requiring a bubble cover.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Here are the words

(1) 15- and 20-Ampere Receptacles in a Wet Location.
15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed
in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weather-
proof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted.

The enclosure is the cover, not the electrical box.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
There is no requirement that it be weatherproof while you have it open to insert a plug, just when the plug is inserted and when it is not. :)

iwire

Staff member
My coworker is saying the enclosure is no longer weather proof when the plug is inserted and the cover is up.

Of course it is not weather proof with the cover up or open.

You need to be able to close the cover with the plug inserted to keep it weather proof.

stephena

Here are the words

The enclosure is not the cover. Article 100 defines enclosure as "The case or housing of apparatus........" and in the handbook blue note it refers you to 110.28 to get an enclosure that is rated for its proper use. So the cover isn't an enclosure.

iwire

Staff member
The enclosure is not the cover. Article 100 defines enclosure as "The case or housing of apparatus........" and in the handbook blue note it refers you to 110.28 to get an enclosure that is rated for its proper use. So the cover isn't an enclosure.

The cover is part of what makes the enclosure.

For instance a 6x6x4 junction box is not a complete enclosure until the cover is installed.

iwire

Staff member

The cover is part of what makes the enclosure.

For instance a 6x6x4 junction box is not a complete enclosure until the cover is installed.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Although the article section has changed to 406.9(B)(1) the illustration below sums it up

1100556971_2.jpg

Roger

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Although the article section has changed to 406.9(B)(1) the illustration below sums it up

1100556971_2.jpg

Roger
The key words are shall have and whether or not. So, long story short, I understand the intent, it IS required, Amen. However, over the years I have experienced several problems with this ever developing Code section :
  1. The vast majority of HO's do not want these ugly looking plastic bubble covers all over the outside of their houses
  2. They often don't know how to open the covers and end up snapping them off. When they snap them off they either leave them with the exposed GFI or replace the covers with the flip-up type.
  3. In 2014 the covers will have to be extra duty which probably means that they will be either metal or a heavy plastic and also probably not clear covers
  4. From my experience, as long as it's hot and dark inside the cover bees will nest in there
The only ones I like using are these with the translucent covers made by Arlington for new and remodel work.

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/inbox/?page=2

Will they be considered extra duty ?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the packaging (listing info) says extra duty, then it is. If manufactured before the UL designation, it is not.
The descriptions that I have heard do not see any big differences between ED and not.
Possibly some designs simply needed to pass the additional testing.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Here are the words

I'll have to disagree on the part in red. The electrical box is the enclosure. The cover is what (part of) makes the enclosure weather proof.

To the OP:
"Flip covers" are only allowed in damp locations. If in a wet location bubbles are required. You are wrong and your co-worker is right. Once you raise the flip cover and insert a plug the enclosure is no longer weather proof.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why is this even in the NEC? Wouldn't it have been better to just change the standard for all of these covers so that they're made better or automatically ED rated?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
If the packaging (listing info) says extra duty, then it is. If manufactured before the UL designation, it is not.
The descriptions that I have heard do not see any big differences between ED and not.
Possibly some designs simply needed to pass the additional testing.
I'm not noticing any real difference. The plastic ones seem the same other than the XD stamp, maybe they are a better grade that won't get brittle over time. The metal ones are still the same light gauge pot metal.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'll have to disagree on the part in red. The electrical box is the enclosure. The cover is what (part of) makes the enclosure weather proof.....

The handbook agrees with me.:roll:

kwired

Electron manager
The key words are shall have and whether or not. So, long story short, I understand the intent, it IS required, Amen. However, over the years I have experienced several problems with this ever developing Code section :
  1. The vast majority of HO's do not want these ugly looking plastic bubble covers all over the outside of their houses
  2. They often don't know how to open the covers and end up snapping them off. When they snap them off they either leave them with the exposed GFI or replace the covers with the flip-up type.
  3. In 2014 the covers will have to be extra duty which probably means that they will be either metal or a heavy plastic and also probably not clear covers
  4. From my experience, as long as it's hot and dark inside the cover bees will nest in there
The only ones I like using are these with the translucent covers made by Arlington for new and remodel work.

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/inbox/?page=2

Will they be considered extra duty ?
They have no indication that they are considered extra duty. I wish they would identify them as extra duty, I don't know what the requirements are to be listed extra duty, but IMO they have always been pretty durable and can't be too short of being "extra duty" if they don't meet requirements. The covers for those are a replaceable part, but I have only had to replace one over how ever many years they have been around - which also says they are fairly heavy duty, to me anyway.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
So than the manufactures of all the wet location flip covers are making products that violate NEC? You are saying that when the flip cover is up the enclosure is no longer weather proof? The enclosure (the box) is still weather proof whether or not the cap is inserted or not. I am not seeing how 406.9B1 is requiring a bubble cover.

They still make non-extra-duty and regular flip covers because you can still use them in damp locations or in other areas that aren't wet locations that you still want a cover for.

kwired

Electron manager
They still make non-extra-duty and regular flip covers because you can still use them in damp locations or in other areas that aren't wet locations that you still want a cover for.
And they still sell, should their sales ever decrease enough you may stop seeing them being sold. There was no banning of those covers in any way, just limitations on wet location cover types allowed by NEC, so only rejections for the most part are by inspectors on new installations involving those covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.