Buchanan smashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

In my area, the Buchanan crimp seems to rule the scene for EGC connections in residential wiring. However, there is a major flaw is that very few electricians, if any, use the Buchanan quad-indent tool to crimp them. This is clearly required in the manufacturers instructions.

Most electricians just smash them flat with their pliers over the twisted conductors, leaving them loose and ineffective. It's as if they used nothing at all. :roll:

I am wondering if anyone has any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, of fires starting or OCPS's not opening due to high impedance connections cause by the improper use of the crimp caps.

For the record, I hate the crimp caps and I never use them. I use Greenies or wire connectors.

LocoKen

Re: Buchanan smashing

I use the ground crimps with a crimping tool and have no problem at all. I used to twist the grounds as well until I had to take them apart to make changes. The ground is very effective if you use the crimping tool, and very in-effective if you don't. Greenies are blister givers in a 7000 sq/ft house with 200 outlets, many switches and everything else there is. Ground crimps for me!

peter d

Originally posted by LocoKen:
I use the ground crimps with a crimping tool and have no problem at all. I used to twist the grounds as well until I had to take them apart to make changes.
I believe you are required to pretwist the conductors if you are using the Buchanan product.

macmikeman

In my area, the Buchanan crimp seems to rule the scene for EGC connections in residential wiring. However, there is a major flaw is that very few electricians, if any, use the Buchanan quad-indent tool to crimp them. This is clearly required in the manufacturers instructions.
Perhaps they were Thomas and Betts Stak- on's which I am pretty sure do not require the use of Buchanan crimp tool.
I've seen enough loose wirenuts in my career also. If the grounds are properly twisted up and then properly crimped, using a single point crimp tool such as the one that klien makes (red handle with cutting blade at the point), is just as good as a greenie, and for my 2 cents, also is better for using less space in the box.

iwire

Staff member

You would have to hold a gun to my head to get me using those flimsy pieces of junk. :D

I will stick to my red wirenuts, greenies are a bit of a pain with MC. ;)

If your box is so small you can not fit another wire nut in it maybe a bigger box is in order. :p

And this...

Greenies are blister givers in a 7000 sq/ft house with 200 outlets, many switches and everything else there
...all I will say is that there are other jobs out there that will not cause blisters. :roll:

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by peter d:
So Bob, if I showed up at your house with a box of Buchanans and a shotgun, would you be inclined to change your mind? :D
Faster than you can say interpretation. :D

The man with the shotgun is always correct.....for the moment. ;)

iwire

Staff member

Scott, your opinion is of little value.

You are not a contractor

Jusk kidding folks, I have much respect for Scott. :cool:

LocoKen

Originally posted by peter d:
I believe you are required to pretwist the conductors if you are using the Buchanan product.
Learning something new every day!

If the grounds are properly twisted up and then properly crimped, using a single point crimp tool such as the one that klien makes (red handle with cutting blade at the point), is just as good as a greenie, and for my 2 cents, also is better for using less space in the box.
This is why I use the ground crimps. Or, maybe should I say, my boss is too cheap to buy the "Greenies". He is like one of those that you talk about that uses his Linemans pliers to crimp it. I agree, you might as well leave them un-crimped in the box!

Greenies are blister givers in a 7000 sq/ft house with 200 outlets, many switches and everything else there
...all I will say is that there are other jobs out there that will not cause blisters.
:D You are correct, and I like the one I have! 150+ Rec. Cans later with three wire nuts each. That's a blister giver alone!
Ken, hearty welcome to the forum.

Check this out if you'd care to see a (funny in hindsight) tirade about crimp sleeves.
Thank you for welcoming me. I am enjoying my time here on the forums very much. You guys have alot of good info and wisdom that I hope to be able to give to someone else in the future. I am learning too much stuff in one day alone, just by skimming the forums here. My brain is on information overload! Great site and thank you all for contributing, so I can learn a thing or two! :D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

There is one possible problem with the crimp ferrules: the little turned-out edge on the flared end can nick insulation when stuffing the wires into the box.

torcho

Sorry guys, I have to take George's side on this. We use these crimp sleeves all the time, and if installed properly, they work great. I too leave more than the required amount of free wire in the box, so even if you have to go back to change something later, it's usually not a problem. They are a real time saver and saves on a few blisters. Just my two cents. :)

luke warmwater

For you guys who think that you install them correctly,
lets see some pictures!

Not a single one that I've ever seen installed was worth the effort it took to install it.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by luke warmwater:
Not a single one that I've ever seen installed was worth the effort it took to install it.
I can get behind that, I always find them loose. :(

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Todd, Bob:

Are you two talking about crimps:

1. Mashed sideways with no special tools, just pliers?
2. Crimped with a GB or Klien-style crimper?
3. Crimped with their listed tool?

Just trying to get on the same page. :)

iwire

Staff member

George I have no idea what was used.

Sometimes I do find ones that have been flattened and obviously I won't count those ones, thats like using a wirenut without twisting them.

But the rest of them especially when used with 12 AWG seem to loosen up when I pull them out of a box.

It's just my opinion, they are legal just like back stabs are legal I just do not like them.

I am an old school wirenut twister as a matter of fact I use my linesman on wirenuts to make sure they are tight. :D

Blisters build character. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.