bucket truck, fear of heights

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyboy

I LOVE bucket truck, and don't mind ladders depending on the conditions. But it might take some convincing to get me to use a 40' ladder, I'd probably drop it ;)

icefalkon

LOL Damn! We have a Height Safety Course here where I'm from that's mandatory for what we call MIJ's (last year of apprenticeship). It's part of the Rigging Class. That's where we expose soon to be journeypersons to the wonders of "high work".

However most of us "city folk" don't normally do anything over 24' without a bucket truck.

Nium

Can't ya just bring the ground up to the light?

Can't ya just bring the ground up to the light?

It's not the height that bugs me but the anticipated abrupt stop by the ground.

I'll go up in any sort of lift or bucket truck with hardly a second thought. The lift that makes me the most nervous is a single man telescopic lift up near the end of it's extension, wiggles all over. I really don't like extension ladders. I'd probably go up a 40' extension, even though I'd rather not, because it's my job. I won't stand on top of a 12'+ stepladder (away from a wall) nor do anything else that's not safe, I'm going home the way I showed up on the job. I signed on to be an electrician and till I can lower the ceiling up I go. I may argue but I always seem to be the one up high while others are unpacking lights.:roll:

icefalkon

I may argue but I always seem to be the one up high while others are unpacking lights.:roll:

LOL Amen brother! Ain't that the truth! Bottom line is...we signed up for this knowing full well there's height involved in this trade.

If you want to be landlocked...well...you could have been a plumber. LOL ;)

jeremysterling

We try to be resourceful with lift equipment and bargain with other trades (masons and glaziers or millwrights) to use their swing-stage, boom-lift or whatever after hours or on the weekend.

If you aren't afraid of heights, you can get a little overtime.:)

e57

I'd go 120' up in a boom anyday before I had to mess around with a 40' extension ladder (given a choice).
Same here - I don't mind buckets - even two people trying to get a ladder that size anywhere other than off the truck is just stupid IMO. Then going up it - is just as dumb.

boyle78

My jman had me do the high work..wall packs, pole lights ect. As long as I'm on a solid ladder with good footing, I'm fine and feel that anything above 40' ladder reach is call for a bucket truck. I have worked with guys that didn't care for 8' step ladders....it's a shame we don't hang lights at shoulder hights and if your in the trade your going to have hights involved.

ohmhead

Well once a year i borrow the companys bucket truck its great for the oak tree trim time in my back yard its a 70 footer tops off the top of the tree line makes
2b6c3e65.jpg
tree cutting a easy one .

But i dont like going straight up with the boom i know iam safe and we must have a harness on but yes we dont take it all the way straight extended out and up just dont trust it and its a brand new 2009 truck.

So i send my brother in law up .

steve066

Just Wondering?? The company I work for does some parking lot light maintenance. I realized today that there is a number of co-workers who will absolutley not go up in the truck to do even a 25" pole. Granted I have to get my "legs" to do it but after about 10 minutes I'm at ease. I always thought to be an electrician you kind of had to overcome any fears of height. Any thoughts or comments on this subject??

Isn't that why you have apprentices? :)

When I worked as an apprentice (for a short time, in a former life), I got to go up the ladder while the journeyman supervised from the ground!!!

big john

What do you guys do about securing the ladder to the pole? Had to do some 25' poles recently, and just ended up jamming the ladder tight into the corner where the light-head connected to the pole to try and keep the ladder from moving side-to-side until I could tie it on.

Even then, it seemed a little hairy.

I don't mind the heights, but having a ladder tip off the pole seems like a whole different and very real hazard.

-John

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
What do you guys do about securing the ladder to the pole? Had to do some 25' poles recently, and just ended up jamming the ladder tight into the corner where the light-head connected to the pole to try and keep the ladder from moving side-to-side until I could tie it on.

Even then, it seemed a little hairy.

I don't mind the heights, but having a ladder tip off the pole seems like a whole different and very real hazard.

-John

Some guye used to use a chain fastened across the top of the ladder. It sagged a little and tended to hug the pole when placed against it. Not the best way to work. Use a bucket.

Isn't that why you have apprentices?

When I worked as an apprentice (for a short time, in a former life), I got to go up the ladder while the journeyman supervised from the ground!!!

I sometimes think that if I didn't do things they would not get done. I got my contractor license a few years back, could go on my own but I guess I'm comfortable where I'm at. That being said I think bucket trucks are the safest way to change out pole lamp/ballasts.

76nemo

I hate trestles!!!!

I hate trestles!!!!

I used to service a gymnasium that I didn't trust the floor with the weight of a lift. I had to use a trestle. Extended all the way up, one leg wrapped around the ladder..........FIRST to admit.....yes, nervous as h*ll.. Go ahead, call me a wuss.

E7400-3.jpg

daleuger

Isn't that why you have apprentices? :)

Journeyman knows how....you need practice! :grin:

crazyboy

I used to service a gymnasium that I didn't trust the floor with the weight of a lift. I had to use a trestle. Extended all the way up, one leg wrapped around the ladder..........FIRST to admit.....yes, nervous as h*ll.. Go ahead, call me a wuss.

E7400-3.jpg

They're actually not as bad as I thought they would be once your up there. I was really surprised.

daleuger

E7400-3.jpg

Don't feel too bad. That looks a little sketchy to me too.

wptski

E7400-3.jpg
76nemo:

Many years ago I was at a event held in a gym in Sarnia, ONT. There was a drop from a ceiling plug that was loose, fell out or something.

They had this aluminum contraption, a ladder, straight all the way up with a larger base with wheels. Some macho guy started up the ladder. It was swaying from side to side. He didn't make it up half way up and had to give up.

Another guy stepped up, climbed up like a monkey and fixed the problem. Afterwards, he said that he was a electrician and heights didn't bother him at all!

All I can say is the dude had some big stones!!:D That was a long way up.

Status
Not open for further replies.