Building with separate Service and Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard S

We have an application where a client has a piece of equipment that requires 480V 3ø. The service feeding the building is 120/208V. The same client occupies an adjacent building that has a 480V service. Based on 225.30(D) Different Characteristics. Additional feeders or branch circuits shall be permitted for different voltages, frequencies, or phases & 230.2(D) "Different Characteristics. Additional services shall be permitted for different voltages, frequencies, or phases..." I believe it is allowed to bring a separate 480V feeder to the building that only has the 120/208V service. Disconnect means would need to be per 225.32, identification would need to be per 225.37 and grounding per 250.32.

225.37 states Where a building or structure has any combination of feeders, branch circuits, or services passing through it or supplying it, a permanent plaque or directory shall be installed at each feeder and branch-circuit disconnect location denoting all other services, feeders, or branch circuits supplying that building or structure or passing through that building or structure and the area served by each.

and 230.2(E) states Where a building or structure is supplied by more than one service, or any combination of branch circuits, feeders, and services, a permanent plaque or directory shall be installed at each service disconnect location denoting all other services, feeders, and branch circuits supplying that building or structure and the area served by each. See 225.37.

Both of those statement imply that it is ok to have a building fed by a Service and a separate feeder. I was initially told that this wouldn't be allowed per NEC and would like to know if I'm applying 225.30(D) and 230.2(D) in the correct manner.

Thanks

richie921

When you say the same tenant-occupies an adjacent building is that building on the same lot or is it a separate property where he just occupies both? If they're two separate properties as far as the locality is concerned then I would say no you cannot feed one building from the other. Is the 120/208 a single phase service? If not couldnt you just use a transformer to feed that one piece of equipment.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Richard S

When you say the same tenant-occupies an adjacent building is that building on the same lot or is it a separate property where he just occupies both? If they're two separate properties as far as the locality is concerned then I would say no you cannot feed one building from the other. Is the 120/208 a single phase service? If not couldnt you just use a transformer to feed that one piece of equipment.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if the buildings are the same lot or separate properties. They do have different addresses. Is that a NEC issue or City / Utility ordnance issue?

The existing 120/208V service doesn't have the capacity to feed a step up transformer. They are waiting for a new service from the utility but is taking soooo long and they need to get this tool up and running.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'm not sure if the buildings are the same lot or separate properties. They do have different addresses. Is that a NEC issue or City / Utility ordnance issue?

The existing 120/208V service doesn't have the capacity to feed a step up transformer. They are waiting for a new service from the utility but is taking soooo long and they need to get this tool up and running.
It would be a local building code or utility rule.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

While the city (AHJ) and/or the PoCo may not permit a permanent feeder, check if you can run a temporary feeder. You're basically going to have to provide 480V entrance gear and interior wiring no matter which route you go. Put that in while you're waiting, then temp power it up from other building if a permanent feeder is not permitted.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Ummm.... no one has mentioned using a step-up transformer as either temporary or permanent solution, so I just want to through it out there.

Richard S

Ummm.... no one has mentioned using a step-up transformer as either temporary or permanent solution, so I just want to through it out there.

Unfortunately their existing 208V service is at capacity. They are at the mercy of the utility at this point.

publicgood

How large is the adjacent building 480V service? Big enough to supply the target building with a feeder to supply the entire building and ditch the existing 208 service? Just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.