Bundled = Derated

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: Bundled = Derated

Trevor you will make Ryan smile with that reference.
Thanks Bob. Prior to Ryan's post on the subject I had never even heard of it.

Trevor

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by iwire:
A panel may be a raceway per 312.8 or it may just be a panel.
A panel may be used as a raceway, but can't be a raceway, IMO. An analogy would be, a car may be used as a toilet, but it is not a toilet, it is a car. :)

pierre

"Raceway. An enclosed channel of metal or nonmetallic materials designed expressly for holding wires, cables, or busbars, with additional functions as permitted in this
Code. Raceways include, but are not limited to,, rigid metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, intermediate metal conduit, liquidtight flexible conduit, flexible metallic tubing, flexible metal conduit, electrical nonmetallic tubing, electrical metallic tubing, underfloor raceways, cellular concrete floor raceways, cellular metal floor raceways, surface raceways, wireways, and busways."

Jim
you need to include the entire definition for clarity. (bold is mine)

allenwayne

Charlie had my intention correct.In my HUMBLE opinion.But I have never met an electrician that was humble we are all the best there is :D
To tag a job because the electrician that cut in the panel using tye wraps for bundling is ridiculous.IMHO :D

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Derating due to "bundling" is not considered when in a panel. What we refer to as loadcenters and panelboards are really made up of two seperate and independant things. Bus bar/mounting assemblies and enclosures.

408.38 says it very specifically - panelboards are mounted in cabinets/cut-out boxes. If you take the busbar out of the enclosure what you have left falls under 312, which is not one of the raceway articles.

310.15(B)(2)(a) only applies to raceways and cables, and not even to all raceways, see 366.23(A) and 376.22.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by allenwayne:
Charlie had my intention correct.In my HUMBLE opinion.But I have never met an electrician that was humble we are all the best there is :D
Now that is some real truth. :D

All of us seem to think electricity would stop flowing without our help. :D

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Bob,

I know that electricity would keep flowing without me.... it would just spill out onto the floor though and make a big puddle.

allenwayne

My Kirby has to have an attachment to handle this situation after all when my ex wife handed me the bill.
It felt like 277 all over again , OWWWWWWWWWW

Status
Not open for further replies.