Burrito Q: Fastening of EMT

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Burrito Q: Fastening of EMT

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I said no, because to me, "...through framing members..." means, holes, not laying on top of framing members,

I think it means what you think it means but it does not seem to say what we think it should. :grin:

Also it is not on top of the framing member it is running through it. :cool:

iwire

Staff member
If we are all talking about the same thing, these are usually top load joists or trusses and you cannot hang anything or lay anything on the bottom cord without the approval of the engineer.

OUCH! Red tagged from left field. :)

We get on some jobs that follow that for everything but on most of our jobs 1/2" through 1.25" are routinely supported by the bottom cord.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
OUCH! Red tagged from left field. :)

We get on some jobs that follow that for everything but on most of our jobs 1/2" through 1.25" are routinely supported by the bottom cord.

Hey you know use "two mood" inspectors.:grin:

I didn't say you couldn't, but you may not be able to. Had one where the structural engineer said that they could only hang off of the top chord.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Geez, I know times are tough, but would you really want to do an install like that ? I guess running a conduit in the "V" of a bar joist is going to give it more support from lateral movement, but by the way most are reading the code section you could just put the conduit on the wide open flat section. Leaving the conduit with no side to side support, or support from uplift. It wouldn't pass here. No different then just laying it across the flat roof of a building.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
358.30 Securing and supporting. EMT shall be installed as a complete system in accordance with 300.18 and shall be securely fastened in place and supported in accordance with 358.30(A) AND (B).
I agree with you. Looking more closely at the wording.

• Securely fastened in place AND supported . . . .
  • . . . in accordance with 358.30(A) AND (B).
They are saying, securely fastened in accordance with 358.30(A), since this is the paragraph that speaks about things being fastened, AND supported in accordance with 358.30(B), since this is the paragraph that speaks about things being supported. (B) is not an exception to (A), so you have to fasten every 10 feet. If, for example, the floor joists are 2 feet apart, then you can put the EMT through holes in the joists, but you have to securely fasten the EMT to the wood every fifth joist board.

I vote no.

iwire

Staff member
The EMT is only required to be 'securely fastened' within 3' of box or conduit body, beyond that it only has to be supported when run through framing members. You cannot try to use A and B simultaneously.

mxslick

I agree with you. Looking more closely at the wording.
  • Securely fastened in place AND supported . . . .
  • . . . in accordance with 358.30(A) AND (B).
They are saying, securely fastened in accordance with 358.30(A), since this is the paragraph that speaks about things being fastened, AND supported in accordance with 358.30(B), since this is the paragraph that speaks about things being supported. (B) is not an exception to (A), so you have to fasten every 10 feet. If, for example, the floor joists are 2 feet apart, then you can put the EMT through holes in the joists, but you have to securely fasten the EMT to the wood every fifth joist board.

I vote no.

I agree and voted no to compliant as well.

The EMT is only required to be 'securely fastened' within 3' of box or conduit body, beyond that it only has to be supported when run through framing members. You cannot try to use A and B simultaneously.

I don't agree..anytime the Code says "AND" it means both (or all) conditions stated must be complied with. Unless you can show me a section without any "AND" conditions for this install that trumps what has already been referenced I stand by my answer. :grin:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
You cannot try to use A and B simultaneously.
This is the key to my disagreement with the majority, please elaborate.

As I see it, both "A" and "B" apply equally to the EMT, so therefore B's existence is fairly moot: as all conduits that are fastened will necessarily be supported in the process of fastening.

cowboyjwc said:
Have a picture?
Attached is one from the 2005 handbook (kudos to those who pointed that out.)

Attachments

• IMC.jpg
    IMC.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0

iwire

Staff member
..anytime the Code says "AND" it means both (or all) conditions stated must be complied with.

Of course that is supposed to be true.

In this case I can't explain it other than IMPO it is an error. See my answer to George about why I feel it is an error.

My opinion remains the same, compliant.

mxslick

This is the key to my disagreement with the majority, please elaborate.

As I see it, both "A" and "B" apply equally to the EMT, so therefore B's existence is fairly moot: as all conduits that are fastened will necessarily be supported in the process of fastening.

Attached is one from the 2005 handbook (kudos to those who pointed that out.)

The picture from the handbook references IMC, not EMT. So it is non-compliant. So far the minority is correct....:grin:

mxslick

Of course that is supposed to be true.

In this case I can't explain it other than IMPO it is an error. See my answer to George about why I feel it is an error.

My opinion remains the same, compliant.

We agree on the first part.

Is it an error? Possibly. Code is not perfect, we all know that.

I still disagree with your opinion on compliant though. :grin:

And as I mentioned in my post above, the handbook calls out IMC, NOT EMT so I would still say no way is this compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.