godfather.jpg

Family. It's all about family.​

Last edited:

cadpoint

Whats Behind Door # ???

Whats Behind Door # ???

adamants said:
to the guys in charge of the forum.
would it be too much of a challenge to set up a seperate business area for managers/owners to discuss business ideas etc away from the public? I think it would be great and would love to see it going asap? would be very beneficial to all business owners, as a lot of guys don't seem to want to discuss the nitty gritty on the open forum.
Maybe you got your idea from this thread maybe not:
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=95190
#17 with a correction at #22

Now I haven't studied this inside and out yet, but it has been set aside in my computer...

There seems to be one to four posts a year that really hit the mark (IMO) about doing business and I've filed them away as well.

I didn't vote cause I'm not an owner of an electrical company.

I agree with others that state that a closed door policy would be a bad policy cause it would inhabit the spirit of this forum!

brian john

IMO opinion there is a site for business and inspectors MikeHolt.com.
It is possible for anyone on this site to start another forum and specialize in the field they fell is missing.

480sparky

cadpoint said:
...I didn't vote cause I'm not an owner of an electrical company....

That should not matter.

If you are employed by an electrical company, you have a vested interest in how profitable that company is. The more money the company makes, the more it can pay it's employees.

If you do crappy work, and need to do it twice (or even 3 times) to get it right, then there's no raises or bonuses (or for that matter, no paycheck).

If employees would look at their employement not as 'just a paycheck every Friday' and instead treat it like a long-term career, better things will happen. Too many electricians need to chuck the "Pay's-the-same" attitude and start being a bit more fiscally responsible.

robwire

I think its a step in the right direction. It shouldn't be a closed door forum but you should have to be an actuall contractor,not just work for one to post in it. I like to read this forum but it has really turned into a general electrical forum other then the name states. Too many people post in here that just work for someone else and lack the knowledge about contracting or are just engineers and have no clue what the game is all about.As for inspectors,they should give there input on code issues.Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer.

iwire

Staff member
480sparky said:
If employees would look at their employment not as 'just a paycheck every Friday' and instead treat it like a long-term career, better things will happen. Too many electricians need to chuck the "Pay's-the-same" attitude and start being a bit more fiscally responsible.

I would love to keep that attitude, however many companies are not treating the employee like that.

For example.

jrannis said:
I have layed off hunderds of people over the years. Only one time did I have a person that had a problem with it and cried.
I think there is an understanding in this business that when the work is done, its time to move on to the next one.

Emahler has said similar statements as well.

Like most things in life it is a two way street, the last company I was with for 10 years, I would have gone to the wall with them, until they let me know in no uncertain terms that I was just a tool to be used and put on the shelf when needed.

If that is how someone chooses to run their company that is their choice, my choice was to move on. :cool:

480sparky

iwire said:
...Like most things in life it is a two way street, the last company I was with for 10 years, I would have gone to the wall with them, until they let me know in no uncertain terms that I was just a tool to be used and put on the shelf when needed. ....

Exactly why I'm out on my own.

But I also think it's imortant for an employee to understand that they need to make the best use of company resources, and to know that the company's checkbook is not a bottomless-pit of money. Don't treat all the company tools as if they are like disposal 35mm camers. You don't use it once, then go buy another one. I've seen guys have this attitude about everything from fish tapes to bucket trucks.

I guess it's easy to see why there's no lolyalty from employees any more. They treat my $40 fish tape the same way thew boss going to treat them (a $100K+/yr 'tool')... ditch it after they're done using it.

billsnuff

Too many people post in here that just work for someone else and lack the knowledge about contracting or are just engineers and have no clue what the game is all about.

I guess i'll have to stop posting since i don't own a business. Heck, i ain't even a lowly engineer. :-? :mad:

satcom

iwire said:
I would love to keep that attitude, however many companies are not treating the employee like that.

For example.

Emahler has said similar statements as well.

Like most things in life it is a two way street, the last company I was with for 10 years, I would have gone to the wall with them, until they let me know in no uncertain terms that I was just a tool to be used and put on the shelf when needed.

If that is how someone chooses to run their company that is their choice, my choice was to move on. :cool:

Bob,
Over the years i have always gone to the wall, with all my employees, they understood from day one, we were a small family company, so our operation was an open book, we shared any and all profits, and as a result everyone pulled in the same direction, I was called a fool, many times for not running a command, and control operation, but a recent illness proved, it paid to treat employees with the highest regard, the company continued as if nothing happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.