Busway tap with box

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
I work in a factory (industrial mill) while doing overhead crane inspection I seen something I thought to be odd.
A large box below the bus and surrounding it with a square hole cut out for wire entry.
This is older bus is there some provision where this could be code compliant. In my opinion no way.

Thank you

Attachments

• 7FCF1483-1D29-4822-967E-9CE105F0CC93.jpeg
    7FCF1483-1D29-4822-967E-9CE105F0CC93.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 13
  • B5D14B7F-3B38-4AF8-8584-C32844623416.jpeg
    B5D14B7F-3B38-4AF8-8584-C32844623416.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 15

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Hard picture for me to understand.

Looks like a transition from a ladder tray run to a j- box to me.

Regardless, seeing the exposed terminals and the heater hose insulators I would agree with your assessment of the situation, :)

jap>

dm9289

Occupation
Hard picture for me to understand.

Looks like a transition from a ladder tray run to a j- box to me.

Regardless, seeing the exposed terminals and the heater hose insulators I would agree with your assessment of the situation, :)

jap>
Yes ladder below bus and a large Jbox surrounding bus with square hole cut in and hose protection.

Yep I know older busway taps might be hard to get but that looked terrible.

What’s odd is that 1200amp ckt was put in by a contractor and passed inspection on breaker directly below 20ft.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
This looks like a poorly made field entry into a standard busway tap box or a busway enclosed transformer tap. At least the conductors should be secured so they don't move during a short circuit.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Yes ladder below bus and a large Jbox surrounding bus with square hole cut in and hose protection.

Yep I know older busway taps might be hard to get but that looked terrible.

What’s odd is that 1200amp ckt was put in by a contractor and passed inspection on breaker directly below 20ft.

Most in house industrial installations aren't under the same requirements for inspection as most new construction projects are.

Jap>

dm9289

Occupation
Most in house industrial installations aren't under the same requirements for inspection as most new construction projects are.

Jap>
Yeah it just looked so bad it surprised me . From ground 3 parallel sets in 3 conduits sort of crooked, then they hung about 6ft of ladder to lay the cable in before transitioning to the square box cut garden hose protected entry. Perhaps lack of bus plug availability

Status
Not open for further replies.