CA. to CO. Endorsement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a 7 year C-10 Electrician with recent certification as a General Electrician certification here in California.

I am applying to Colorado for an Endorsement Journeymans license. Wanted to ask here (you guys) prior to mailing to Colorado! Anybody been through this? (Any CO. Sparks on-line here)????

I am disapointed!
With a 2008 book published I studied a 2005 NEC but was tested with a 2002 NEC book here in CA. 2 months ago!!!.
As per endorsement criteria what book is Colarado testing with to date??

Anybody sure of this by experience??

I satisfy all endorsement requirements except possibly their requirement for which code I was tested under. If 2002 code does not satisfy this requirement... I will B &^#

Can a Colorado journey work for himself????
JMen have to work under masters. is this correct???

As a C-10 Here in CA. is this equivelant to a masters there.??

In KS. I worked under a master and he is what I am today an insured employer able to advertise which carries workers comp by law for his employees.
I see it to B the same.. Someone correct me please!!

Thanks

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Here are the answers to all your questions.

According to this, Colorado does not reciprocate with CA, so in order to get a master or journeyman license in CO, you will have to take more steps to prove your time and you will have to sit for the test. You would have to contact the board, and jump through whatever hoops the person on the other end of the phone would like you to jump through.

A JW in CO means that you can work unsupervised, can supervise three apprentices, but must work under a master.

An ME in CO has the same on-site allowances as a JW, and can apply to become an EC or can serve as the master of an existing EC.

Power Tech

This will probably get tagged but; Really, I have noticed over the years the shut down of the borders with the licensing.

Used to be you could travel (not that I have) and do construction all over.

Now, you would have to get a license in every state.

The National Forest Pass costs $35 a year. "National Forest" no no no, You have to get a pass for different areas. Here in CA you would have to spend $100's to go on a 2 week trip.

It is in front of our face; The government does not want us moving around.

Isn't it supposed to be the IBEW.

How come you have to take a test, like there is some majical line where electricity changes????:confused:

This will probably get tagged but; Really, I have noticed over the years the shut down of the borders with the licensing.

Used to be you could travel (not that I have) and do construction all over.

Now, you would have to get a license in every state.

The National Forest Pass costs $35 a year. "National Forest" no no no, You have to get a pass for different areas. Here in CA you would have to spend $100's to go on a 2 week trip.

How come you have to take a test, like there is some majical line where electricity changes????:confused:

The problem lies with the fact that states adopt different codes at different times and make matters worse do not have a standard test procedure.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Nothing to strike fear into the heart of an EC like one of them gubermint clowns showing up and sayin' -

"I'm here from the government, and I'm here to help".

e57

No one wants anyone Union or not moving around. It's market protection scheme, and its legal.... Convince a politician to write a law - or write it for him and get it passed.

The problem lies with the fact that states adopt different codes at different times and make matters worse do not have a standard test procedure.
Nothing to do with codes or practices. The code changes every three years, and it changes very little - in very subtle ways. It would matter not if you did not know how to take one test over the other - what matters in most cases is 'will they allow you to take the test in the first place.' They say, "Oh you were a JW, or even EC in Colorado - thats different than California - your experiance doesn't count." Or "We don't recongize that apprenticeship program." The same works vise versa - the next state or four dozen others.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
No one wants anyone Union or not moving around. It's market protection scheme, and its legal.... Convince a politician to write a law - or write it for him and get it passed.

Nothing to do with codes or practices. The code changes every three years, and it changes very little - in very subtle ways. It would matter not if you did not know how to take one test over the other - what matters in most cases is 'will they allow you to take the test in the first place.' They say, "Oh you were a JW, or even EC in Colorado - thats different than California - your experiance doesn't count." Or "We don't recongize that apprenticeship program." The same works vise versa - the next state or four dozen others.

I repectfully disagree with your statements. Electric trade is not practiced the same in each state. If the State wants you to be familiar with the state rules then so be it. For many years Ca was well behind the curve in the learning process. All you needed was a signature of a couple of people and you could take the test here in CA. I know a few who never worked a day in their life as a electrician or an engineer and became a C-10.
States that had mandatory apprentice programs had legitimate concerns against states that did/do not have.
Maybe all the intentions still don't provide competency you cannot blame them for trying.

If a test taker in CA is tested today on the 2002 code what gives that person the recipriocity that of a person who is testing on the current 2008. The state must provide boundries at some point as to what is a qualified applicant. Until there is a national program it will never be uniform.

e57

I repectfully disagree with your statements. Electric trade is not practiced the same in each state. If the State wants you to be familiar with the state rules then so be it.
And the differences are so subtle that the California Certification is solely based on the NEC alone without the hand-full Title-24 Part 3 amendments to it, and for that matter one whole code cycle behind?!?! :roll:

For that matter the changes state to state would be so minuscule that it would be hard to notice work from one state to the next - yet many try to. But since there would only be a handful of changes still - would that be an afternoon of study.....

Contracting law itself in each state may change a bit - but that too is just learning a new set of rules - many of which are very similar... A little study and one could pass the test in most states - the thing is - they won't let you take the test. They need to protect the market for the people who pay the most taxes and vote in each... No one wants income that could be earned there to go to the next state over - just as much as they don't want it going to Canada or Mexico.

For many years Ca was well behind the curve in the learning process. All you needed was a signature of a couple of people and you could take the test here in CA. I know a few who never worked a day in their life as a electrician or an engineer and became a C-10.
States that had mandatory apprentice programs had legitimate concerns against states that did/do not have.
Maybe all the intentions still don't provide competency you cannot blame them for trying.
Now here where I think I really disagree with you. I have not seen this marked difference in before certification and after - we are after all talking about an open book test on an obsolete code... All it requires is some reading skill....

And the CSLB has not changed their rules at all - you still become an EC with a few signatures from a few people who hold a license... You then take a test primarily on contracting law in this state, and if you hold a license in another state they allow that too if you take the test. However it is only Arizona now, as the other states are closing it doors to electricians from here, because we have closed the doors to them. Mainly with the Electrician Certification Program... The cetrification law has not made us all the same - it made us different....

It is workers and employees who get the shaft from this - remember the Certification Program is an Apprenticeship Law - and with it the DAS has divided up territories for each one, and only allows one per geographical area. Soon you may not even be allowed to work in the next city or town because they do not recognize your apprenticeship - even if that was 20 years ago and you've been working ever since....
If a test taker in CA is tested today on the 2002 code what gives that person the recipriocity that of a person who is testing on the current 2008. .
I still think it very funny that CA is on the '05 cycle.... I think it shows the complete disconnect from the industry that the DAS has in both the apprenticeship programs it over-sees, and the contracting world it is doing its best to interfere with.
The state must provide boundries at some point as to what is a qualified applicant. Until there is a national program it will never be uniform.
Don't hold your breath on that... Nationalizing is a dirty word to most - they can not even get together on an ID card, or drivers license, or a bazillion other laws and standards.... Someone might think we were one nation - we're really just a bunch of small countries with one military and some open borders between us for the moment.... :roll:

Nium

Licensing in PA

Licensing in PA

Come on over here to PA. I have a Master Electrician License from Allentown that isn't honored in Philadelphia I would have to take the Philly test to do electrical work there. If I wanted to work in Reading my license is honored but I have to pay the fee for the Reading license. A state wide license would be nice but it is still in the works and who knows when it will happen.

e57

Come on over here to PA. I have a Master Electrician License from Allentown that isn't honored in Philadelphia I would have to take the Philly test to do electrical work there. If I wanted to work in Reading my license is honored but I have to pay the fee for the Reading license. A state wide license would be nice but it is still in the works and who knows when it will happen.
Perfect example!

Thanks WOW

Thanks WOW

Thanks All!!
I was in agreement with G Stolz left then came back!! WOW.
The answers are here with Mike!

And yes Flatlander years ago when a person could follow the bad storms and work anywhere. To bad you can't do it anymore!! Met some wild chicks..

Yes Power Tech Some where in the desest there is a majical line where electricity changes, or as per Sierrasparky >>> it is "Challenged" at least, in which is good. But also some people just don't like us! When i lived in KS. we use to call CA's names. I R 1 now!

e57 as per my testing I thought I was bringing myself up to date by taking the California exam to document and prepare to move to CO. Once mail returns I might be disapointed..I studied 2008,purchased and studied 2005, was tested with a 2002 book. Not sure what PSI exams has to say when forwarding my proof of licensure to CO.

I started there in KS 1988. with documentation,Time and Experience then re-qualified for a C-10 here in CA.2003.>> COOL.. Laws changed I have now been a 6 year C-10 electrical contractor with a new 2009 general electrical certification!

Answer is in the mail but hopfully I qualify to test.
dangit!!
Thanks Everybody

e57

Once mail returns I might be disapointed..I studied 2008,purchased and studied 2005, was tested with a 2002 book. Not sure what PSI exams has to say when forwarding my proof of licensure to CO.
I think you very well might be... And I don't think PSI could help at all - they have no authority except for administering an obsolete test by order of the fools at the CA DAS - they are solely under a contract. It would be the DAS to prove you are certified in CA. (the long list or the search) But since Colorado does not recognize the exist of California - then you might as well be from Transylvania.... :roll:

Nearest I can tell - you need to go to Arizona - then to Utah - then to Colorado.... Then you might be able to sit for their test - if they like who you had an apprenticeship with....

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Reciprocation means you don't sit for a test here. You pay $100 and you're done, if you just want a JW.

Like I said, lack of reciprocation just means you have an extra step in proving your time, and then you take the test. Moving is probably a much bigger deal than the actual act of getting a license. I think people like to freak out.

e57

Reciprocation means you don't sit for a test here. You pay $100 and you're done, if you just want a JW.

Like I said, lack of reciprocation just means you have an extra step in proving your time, and then you take the test. Moving is probably a much bigger deal than the actual act of getting a license. I think people like to freak out.
If you wouldn't mind - what exactly is it you need to do to "prove your time"? One is a license in a recipicating state - what are the others?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Reciprocation in CO means that you show your existing license, pay the fee, and you walk out the door with your license, not much else to it. No test, no proof of time.

For Colorado residents to prove their time, the employer fills out a premade form from the state, an "Affidavit of Time." The employer fills in hours spent doing various types of construction (i.e. planning/layout, commercial, residential) and then signs it. Previously, they accepted a notarized letter detailing the time spent.

I imagine it would be as simple as asking your previous employers to sign the affidavit, or if your state tracked the time, a letter from the state.

e57

Reciprocation in CO means that you show your existing license, pay the fee, and you walk out the door with your license, not much else to it. No test, no proof of time.

For Colorado residents to prove their time, the employer fills out a premade form from the state, an "Affidavit of Time." The employer fills in hours spent doing various types of construction (i.e. planning/layout, commercial, residential) and then signs it. Previously, they accepted a notarized letter detailing the time spent.

I imagine it would be as simple as asking your previous employers to sign the affidavit, or if your state tracked the time, a letter from the state.
Well thats not that bad - I thought you were alluding to you might have to start all over again as an apprentice there.... (As it can be here now) So if other training/informalized experiance counts from other states - whats the point of having recipical agreements just to avoid a test? Why not test everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.